News:

Main Menu

what a bitch

Started by VisionMeister, March 13, 2012, 10:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

I am currently working on changing the plugs on my Toyota Sienna transverse v6 van.
Spent about three hours yesterday just disassembling airbox, throttle body, wipers, motor and cowling just to be able to get my arm into the rear cylinder bank.
It took another hour to get the coil/plug caps off, and more time to fit in the proper combination of wrench extensions and swivels to pull the plugs.
It has to be done blind and with very limited room for movement of wratchet.
I ran out of energy and patience last evening and think it will take about another three hours today to finish the plug installations and reassembly of everything I did yesterday.
This was just for the rear bank, three plugs :-[, the front three were easy
I'll never complain about working on the Vision again.

Rick G

This is exactly why I drive a 1982 Dodge 150 pickup . a 1980 Plymouth Volare, and a 1973 Dodge D100 van. They are bone simple to work on. There not as fast or as comfortable as modern cars, but are a breeze to work on. The D150 still gets the 21 mpg that it was rated at in the 1981 issue of mother earth news
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

I been telling for years, front wheel drive SUCKS!!
" border="0

QBS

That's why my '93 rwr Toyota Previa (238K miles) is a keeper.

VisionMeister

Front wheel drive has nothing to do with it.
It's all about designing for manufacturing ease and not maintenance.
the good news is that with modern plug technology it will be another five years before plugs should need to be replaced again (300k miles)

Lucky

hmmm. 182K on my Caravan.. (70K on it when I bought it) haven't touched plugs, oil/filter.. anything.. probably be a good idea huh?....  :D :D
Naw....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

AdvRich

Quote from: Lucky on March 14, 2012, 10:45:48 AM
hmmm. 182K on my Caravan.. (70K on it when I bought it) haven't touched plugs, oil/filter.. anything.. probably be a good idea huh?....  :D :D
Naw....
That'd be some serious Texas Tea by now... :laugh:

supervision

QBS, their is a supercharged PRIVA in Sac. CA. For $ 2500, low miles too, only 150,000 . 
" border="0

Rikugun

QuoteThat'd be some serious Texas Tea by now..
And How! I wouldn't disturb it at this point, you'd just be inviting problems  :o  Just add oil as needed and hope for the best  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

admin

Quote from: QBS on March 13, 2012, 11:00:16 PM
That's why my '93 rwr Toyota Previa (238K miles) is a keeper.

wish I still had my 94 ( 185k)  but the new england rust monster killed it :-(
haven't found a suitable replacement yet so I'm driving a subaru for now.
I like the sooby but it's no Previa...

munkyfistfight

I changed the plugs on my '06 Saturn Vue about 2 years ago (trans-mounted V6). It took me 15 minutes to change the first 5 plugs. It took an hour to change the last one.

In these types of situations my dad always yells "Who designed this!?#%?" followed by expletives.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Lucky

Quote from: munkyfistfight on April 01, 2012, 10:23:19 PM
In these types of situations my dad always yells "Who designed this!?#%?" followed by expletives.

Your my son??!!  :o :o ??? ??? ::) ::) ;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

Front wheel drive is good for two things, small car large interior, and EASE of manufacturing.  IMO, the who come up with idea of it should have to try servicing them.
" border="0

Rikugun

I think it depends on the make and model. I've had 2 Civics - one purchased with a ton of miles and one I put a ton of miles on.  Compared to the american made full size van, pickups and cars I've owned, working on them was a breeze. Those Honda's were made with servicing in mind. I've also had good experience with Toyotas in that respect.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

vadasz1

Rikugun, don't forget that those all have transverse inline 4 bangers.  Easy peasy to work on.  Now any FWD with a transverse V6 is a bitch to work on any part of the rear of the engine.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

fret not

My '96 Ford Aerostar v6 is another one that is difficult to work on.  I asked the agency shop how much to change plugs and plug wires and they said "Ummm, you probably don't want to do that.  It would be $220 labor plus parts."  I did find where 2 of the spark plugs are.  Way too much stuff crammed in the engine compartment.  And that is a rear wheel drive, not transverse v6.  Otherwise it's a good vehicle.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

supervision

Many FWD, have timing belts, I certainly dont think that is made to be changed easy.   Newer civics have chains, thankyou honda. Anything with the waterpump, alternater, A/C , hanging sideways, is not made to work on.  The astro, is tough to change plugs also, pulling the front tires, and long extensions, was the best way. 
" border="0

Rikugun

QuoteRikugun, don't forget that those all have transverse inline 4 bangers
Yup, absosolutely. I was responding to supervision's prior comment which seemed to be a general condemantion of FWD serviceability rather than V6 plug replacement. I've done a clutch, struts, water pump, half shafts and a host of other repairs and maintenance that (in my opinion) were easier than the RWD counterparts.

munkyfistfight

I had a '94 Saturn SL2 that was pretty easy to work on. The Pick-A-Part always had a dozen junked ones, so it was a perfect first car work on. The two biggest bitch/gripes I had with it were changing anything near the serpentine belt tensioner, the water pump, and the starter that was inconveniently as hidden behind the engine as it possibly could be. I got good at loosening those three bolts with one hand.

280,080 miles on the clock when the odometer broke. She's still out there somewhere...
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

supervision

Their are getting to be so few choices other than FWD.  Both our Son and Daughter drive them.  We ended up keeping my Moms 03 Crown Victoria, so I had to sell my 03 Astro.  The Astro, was my third one, and I was excited to get it, because it was the last series, where they made them more HDY, 16" wheels, and 4 WHL disk brakes.  gas milage, was down compaired to the first 2.  Now that we have had the Vicky awhile, Im glad to have Barb driving it, 20/21 every tank.  also it is much better than taking a 4 door pickup around town.  It has quite a few electrical problems, I hope to get sorted as soon as I get round to it.  Their is a saying car mechanics use, this car has too many FREDs, but that is what people think they need, and most cars come full of em!!!
" border="0