82 XZ550 VISION

Started by falka, October 22, 2003, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falka

Looking at picking up a running bike to restore... the fuel pump or possibly the carbs will need to be rebuilt to solve a fuel excess problem.. are these bikes worth restoring .. haven't heard to many encouraging words. ???

Rick G

Perhaps that is because  we are candid ,here ,about the problems involved in  maintaining a Vision. I keep mine because there is no current equivalent available . Shaft drive  middle weights  that have out standing performance,  are non existant in the current flood of crotch rockets and tubby crusers. I put 17000 miles on my first one, which through no fault of  the bikes,  was damaged beyond redemption. I restored my spare bike  and it is even better than the first.
Restoration takes a little work,  but all the information and support is available right here! The other option is to  settle for second best and buy a  new or late model used bike, which will require the expeniture of $4000.  and up!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RussD

If you're a handy guy with descent mechanical skills, & enjoy tinkering, this would be a great bike for you.....When she runs right, mines a lot of fun to ride! It's my first bike, and I think she's just right for me to get broke in on......spunky, but not too much, and she handles very nimble.

If you're pretty much a novice like me, it can be an extremely frustrating bike to own. I'm OK with the nuts & bolts stuff, but this bike has a lot of electrical issues, and I'm like a deer in headlights when it comes to electrical stuff!!    :o
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

kiawrench

man, did you ever come to the right place to ask that question.
     a bikes value is completely the new owners decision. i for one have had several good bikes, a triumph tiger, a bonneville, even bought and soon lost a knucklehead.
The vision i now own has been strange. i hate it and i love it .
  this bike is fast, easy to work on , when you can locate your parts, good on gas , and more nimble than a british subway pick pocket . there will be a few things to take away from your joy, but as Lucky says, be patient ,ask questions buy a manual , ask more questions.
The majority of members in this group arent mechanics, b tby reading the history you will find here, you will see that no matter what , we as a group can fix almost anything ,esp when the senior members jump in and send things like tech specs ,drawings , and part number that even yamaha cant find .
   In a easier note,  It looks good, it will get you noticed, and it will break down,  but when you get it running right , it is pure joy. i for one refuse to drive a car or truck now unless i see a lot of ice on road, until then , am on my vision, riding all over. Or, on my knees with wrench in one hand and my computer mouse in the other ,  which to me , is just as much fun as riding. I wont say buy it , bu tremeber ,there are very few bike mechanics that have ever worked on a vision left , most have retired, or moved on .so never trust your dealership techs word on good bike /bad bike,, and as for the rest, it isnt called vision because it likes to sit still
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

I've owned my V for 19+ years and have never regretted my purchase.  The Yamaha parts that are still available from the factory are often expensive but many things can be worked around and actually turn out better than the original design.  

The V was cutting edge technology in several areas when it was released and had a very limited run.  I've found very few bikes with as wide and FUN of a powerband as this high strung V-twin has.  It also has great sport touring manners and is comfortable for 300+ mile days with soft luggage and a small fairing.

True, it does have its own idiosyncracies but this is site gives the best help for owners that I've seen, and I've searched around the web for numerous other brand and model owner's sites.  I would highly recommend buying this bike if you have some mechanical ability or are willing to tinker and learn.  The folks here are always ready and willing to give any advice and relate any experience thay've had - even if it was a less than brilliant attempt! ::)

Good luck in your search and I hope you choose the "Visionary" path!
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

hey,, h2o must have heard about my seat project gone wrong,,, lol  
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .