News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Keyster Carb kits?

Started by Dave T., October 10, 2003, 06:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

I see there is a carb kit for the 1983 Vision out there. Is this legit or do I have to get out more... ? :P

Linky dinky...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2436369278&category=35597

I wish it came with new nozzles... :'(
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Walt_M.

Looks to be legit but Lucky thinks they are a bit pricey as you would need 2 kits, 1 per carb. It appears to have the accelerator pump and some incorrect jets. No nozzles, unfortunately. I think the price has come down since they first appeared.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Humber

OK guys.. I think that keyster kits may be OK if u really need them... of course the price is dear.... I was working on my 83 carb today and I concluded that I may need keyster kit... I don't need jets since those I have are OK...

LUCKY... as for pilot screw caps... they don't need to be replaced... I removed both of them today without drilling... destroying... etc anyway, when I looked these caps while having them in hand, I realised that it would be damn difficult to drill them...

U just have to unscrew air screw main bolt... put the carb in a vice.. and hammer the cap down... when it falls inside u just get it out.. exchange/clean what u have to and that's all... u can hammer it in its original place once again... maybe it would be advisable to use some never seize stuff to make them get out easier next time....

my 5 c..... bye bye
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

the price has come down some. note that the kit is only for the 83 carbs. The only parts that will fit in the 82 carb are not the correct size.  I have gotten one of these because I needed a control valve diaphram.  the quality is fair (passable), Inlet needle & seat quality are poor. The kit is also very incomplete, no throttle shaft seals, no jet plugs, no starter plungers, no fuel pump parts at all.. If you need a specific part for a rebuild then go ahead & get it, but to buy 2 for a complete rebuild is not really worth it.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Thats the opinion we came to ,when we ordered  a set for a Honda CB750. The  needles and seats  are crappy and the jets were the wrong size . The float bowl  o rings in a Honda , that take the place of a gasket , were round ,not formed  to fit lit grove in the float bowl  , as the OEM ones are . We never reordered.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

Hi,
    Have you guys actually seen the Vision Keyster kit ? Also a kit does exist for the fuel pump   p/n KY- 0472F. The carb kit I have looks very professional although I can't comment on the size of the needles ect. I guess I wouldn't be to critical unless I'd used the kit.
                     Ken
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lucky

Quote?I have gotten one of these because I needed a control valve diaphram. ?

like I said, I have one sitting in front of me...

Rick G

I haven't seen a Vision kit, but HAVE seen many keyster kits  and the quality (or lack of it ) is the same accross the board. There not worth the money , and if you used them wih out checking  the jet sizes , real drivability problems  are assured.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

I'll reserve my comments about the Kits until I have them installed.
             Cheers Ken
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Walt_M.

Keyster is also offering a fuel pump rebuild kit.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Humber

guys... what about a rebulit kit for an 83 petcock... I would like to renew mine...

I am especially interested in the diagraph that is located under the back side plate/cover.

It is very large... like two 82 accelerator pump diagraphs bond together.....

any help??
nie ma podpis?w

Rick G

Matt Atlas could use  one too, So far i haven't seen one anywhere, but lucky mentioned that he has.
Rick G

QBS

What about it Luckey?  Have you discovered a source of '83 petcock rebuild kits?  If so, please tell all.  Cheers.

admin

Humber

Ron, I visited this page before asking a question.. they don't have a diagraph I am talking about.....
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

82's are not a problem, 83's are not available as far as I can tell.  The link I put up last week was for a Keyster petcock kit on Ebay, but it too was for an 82, or for an 83, but had an 82 single diaphram...

Rick G

I just did a set of 83 carbs and petcock for Matt Atlas, his petcock diaphram is nearly shot too.
Its the first time I had a 83 petcock apart and My opinion  is that Yamaha over complicated the thing ,needlessly. If I owned one, I'd install a 82 petcock, ( by first making an adaptor ) and run the return line  to a fitting  on the underside of the tank , Just in front of the gas cap area . A piece of copper tubing  or steel automotive fuel line  inserted at that point and brazed or J B welded in place , would  be above the fuel level and the second diaphram would not be needed. I feel kind of sorry for owners of 83's because the production was so low that even used parts, for the fuel system,  will be nonexistant,  far sooner than the '82 models I surprised that keyster made a run of carb kits , for a carb that was used on so few bikes.
Rick G

Cdnlouie

Just a quick update while I am taking a peek here.  The guy here in Ontario who did the 83 kit pretty much did not know what he was doing and refused to listen to any advice given  by Lucky or myself. That pretty much explains things. So we got the 83 kits albeit overpriced and of debatable quality as some of you have commented.

About a month ago I finally found out that the 82 set I sent him in the spring was finally sent out.  I figured that it would do no good to argue any more with him about interchangable parts, but just hope for the best at this point.  So I would imagine that we could get an 82 keyster kit available in about 4 more months (Jan-Feb) if we follow the time frame of the 83.

While there is much to complain about it is kind of neat that the Vision rates the honour of being listed of such importance to the grand sport of motorcycling that it warrants production of a Keyster kit.

All the best guys,

Louie   8)