First Ride This Year

Started by Mid Life Crisis, March 23, 2012, 12:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Life Crisis

OK, So almost a week of 20C plus weather, I could take it no longer.  In fact I was cursing out the guys that rode past me on their bikes.  The final straw was when my cousin left me a voicemail of the sound of his Yamaha 1100 running.

So, I go to the garage, pull the cover off,  do some preliminary checks (oil, tires etc.)  turn the key on (i didn't even pull the battery for  storage).  Full choke, snap of the accelerator, start button...........I'll be damned! it started.  Strong and even.

Warmed up, I needed to satisfy my itch.  Brake check, look at the fork seals for oil and my vision said to me "ride me like there is no tomorrow".  I started off slow, getting back to the feel of things, my old girl was begging to go.  that is finally what we did.  Went for a nice 50 mile ride out the backroads enjoying the unusual summer like weather in March.  What a welcomed break.

I did see another unforunate instatnce.  Picture HWY 400 South (for those of you not from ON Canada, this is one of Ontario's busiest hiways, linking Toronto to the north).  Anyway on the side of the road is this scene.  Flatbed tow truck with lights on.  Behind is a Harley cruiser, beside the Hog is a very forlorne looking young rider.  Behind that is an Ontario Provincial Police Cruiser with the lights on.  You see, in ON we have a law that if you are speeding by more than 50% of the posted limit, your license is suspended and your vehicle is impounded for 7 days.  I am thinking this guy was doing at least 150 KM/H (95MPH).  Not smart especially considering the condition of the roads this early in the season.  The road sand that I encountered on my ride was considerable.  Put stupid speed on that, well, maybe the cop did this kid a favour.

I had a wonderful ride.  A really nice surprise.  My point.  Remember on your first ride, don't get all stupid and horny to ride that you forget the basics.  Safety checks, scanning, read the road, shoulder checks.

Let's hope this weather stays with us throughout the spring.  Now, time to find cheaper insurance.

Cheers!

vadasz1

|Hey there MLC.  Nice to see that you got your V out as well.  This is my first week as well, and I started riding to work on Tuesday afternoon.

I hate to correct you but it isn't 50% of the posted limit but 50 KPH over the posted limit.  So in effect you would lose your license if you were going 90  in a 40 zone. 

BTW, your locaion in your profile is hidden but  I know for a fact that you are in or near the GTA,  I am in west Mississauga @ Winston & Derry.  If you are hankering for a ride don't hesitate to get in touch with me. (pendli.r@sympatico.ca)

I work weekends at Allen & Sheppard area so we could meet on a weekend afternoon and put in a nice ride.

Port Dover ride is on Friday April the 13th, if you want to go just let me know as I am definitely going again this year.

Regards,
Robert (vadasz1)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Mid Life Crisis

I stand corrected.  50 KMH or over is the law.  Thanks, you made me check.

I live in Barrie but have worked in the city for decades.  Thanks for the offer,  I may just take you up on it!

Cheers!