News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Speedo accuracy

Started by pinholenz, April 01, 2012, 06:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Greetings from NZ. I suspect my speedo might be well out of range. Standard tyres on the xz550, 5k on the tacho in top gear and she's reading 80kph on the speedo. I'd appreciate some comparative speed readings from other bikes at 5k on the tacho please. Cheers.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

A test I read claimed 5295 RPM at 60 MPH/97KPH.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Its somewhere close to 11 mph per 1000 rpm.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

iain

Mine was out heaps when I got it,,  wouldnt read over about 130 km

Iain
NZ

supervision

With a 90/90 front and 110/90 rear mine is 5,000 at 55
" border="0

Tiger

Quote from: supervision on April 01, 2012, 06:06:41 PM
  With a 90/90 front and 110/90 rear mine is 5,000 at 55

...multiply by 1.6 = 88 K P H ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

pullshocks

I rode by one of the "Your speed is" radar units today.  It said I was going 29.  The speedo said 37.  Pretty far off.

supervision

Oh my speedometer @55mph your in the red zone till 80mph, where nothing indicated beyond 80mph.   My bike will go just fine up their, I can pull redline, 10,000rpm, in fifth!!!   What's up with that?  The person who made the speedometer must have never rode one, or they would have surley known the bike can go much past 80mph. 
" border="0

Lucky

that is assuming the radar machine was accurate..
think of it as a ticket avoidance calibration..  "but Officer, my speedo isn't accurate.."  :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

The 82 speedo (and all speedo's of that era) won't read past  85.
The woman in charge of the US transportation dept, Joan Clayburg, felt that if you did not know how fast you were going, you would not speed. Ya sure.!!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

She also tried to get seat belts required for motorcycles!!!! :o ::) :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

Have you seen the front wheel drive one, she had created?  No one could ride the damd thing!
Rick G

supervision

those jive agencys, need to be discouraged, out of exisiatance.   IMHO
" border="0

don_vanecek

I have been told by other riders that my 55 is their 60, my 60 is there 65 (mph that is). Like many of us I have moved to a 100 size tire up front, one size up from the original 90/90, frankly I would rather have it the other way around (my 60 their 55).

Anyway, that's what other guys have told me, so far I haven't had to discuss with an officer. 

pinholenz

Many thanks to you all. By my reckoning and your experience (assuming the tacho is accurate of course) and with standard tyres, at 100 kph my tacho should read 5484 rpm.Therefore if my Tacho at 5000 reads 80kph, I am actually doing 92kph. Or if my speedo is showing 100kph (the legal motorway limit in NZ) I am probably doing about 114kph. - enough to attract the  :police:. Hmm. Quite a way out. I did think I was going faster than what the instruments were telling me.  Cheers.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

dpequip

One thing to remember here, is that USA market and other world market bikes will have different primary drive gear ratios.  This will affect the RPM vs indicated speed ratios.  The USA gear set gives more RPMs for a given speed.  Supposedly this was done to produce better 1/4 mile times during magazine tests in the USA?   If I remember correctly the gearing difference was about 10%.  I put a euro ratio primary gear set in my USA spec Vision  back in 1984 when you could still order these parts new.  Took about 3 months to get as Yamaha had to ship the parts from Japan.  Lowered the revs on the highway and made 3rd gear perfect for riding curvy roads.  It was one of the best changes I made to my Vision over the years.
1982 Yamaha Vision Owned Since New.
Mods:Euro Primary Gear set, Euro footpegs & controls, Yamaha 1/4 Fairing, Braided Stainless lines, Forkbrace, Tapered roller bearings in steering, '83 rear Shock

Rikugun

I would think that no matter the intended market the bike would be shipped with a reasonably accurate speedo. Could there be different drive units and/or speedo inner working to match the gearing used for each market?   

Maybe inaccuracies can be attributed to age as well as in some cases where parts have been mixed and matched. Is it possible the spinning magnet loses some strength over time or the needle's axle gets sluggish from old gummy factory lube? Just a thought...   :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

The 82 speedo's are just crap. All other countries used the same KPH speedo , which seems to be a better instrument.
Rick G

lexx790

I've tested my speedo against a sat nav and found it to be reading 10% fast, so at 70MPH it reads 77.
I had thought about correcting it, as it is only the spiral spring tension against the magnetic drag on the needle.
When the speedo is out next I'll set the speedo running with an electric drill turning it at a constant speed then re-tension the spring to reduce the reading by 10%.
Well it seems good in theory  ::)