What kind of engine mod is this? Picture inside. Looks like a YICS mod?!

Started by Protonus, April 24, 2012, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Protonus

Taken from here: http://www.xz550.de 's gallery.

It looks either like a massive YICS chamber or some sort of air intake going into the YICS tubes?  Or something else?!

1982 with full '83 fairings

jefferson

Look close and you will see a regular mikuni carb on the bike. That tube connects the carb to the air filter in the front. Probably one like it on the other side.

Jeff

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kiwi

US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Rick G

It looks to me that someone has changed to a side draft Mikuni and the "enclosiers " are the new air cleaner housings. I agree that there's probably another one on the left side .
I posted pics or a small Honda V twin that had a similar setup . It had only one carb , facing forwards on the right side . The manifold was constructed of PVC plumbing pipe!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

lexx790

I think all the electrics have been moved to under the tank, hence the need to relocate the  air filters.

Rikugun

Given the placement of the new carb(s) it wouldn't make sense to use the stock airbox which would certainly open up that space for other uses.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Protonus

Huh, interesting. I didn't notice on the tiny pics that the stock carbs were gone, that makes sense.

1982 with full '83 fairings

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Ron_McCoy

I've seen this bike at a bike show. The mikuni on the right side is the only carburetor. The bike was built by Dave Berg.

The Prophet of Doom