News:

Main Menu

Starter bushing

Started by Re-Vision, April 02, 2012, 02:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

It was degreased  in the kitchen sink first , that way  the trail of water was shorter.

If any of you who had me rebuild your carbs , noticed that thy had a "frosted" texture, it because they were so bad, that I had to glass bead them. To prevent any of the beads being trapped in the carb and causing an engine failure. I ran the body parts through the dish washer. The really bad ones came from Canada, haven't figured why?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: zebulon on April 14, 2012, 10:37:16 AM
Hi all, best method for me was heating the starter cap on a hot plate to about 212° F. The bushing will fall out easily. Make sure to wear heavy gloves!  ;D  You can use an oven, too, but make sure, the person who uses it for food preparation is not at home :angel:
You reached the right temperature if small drops of water you drop on sizzle and evaporate.
You can also just spit on it, same effect. This is not recommended in Singapore :police:
Before installing the new bushing put it in the freezer for an hour and heat up the cap. Installation will be very easy.

This procedure is also good for bearing replacement.

Greetings from Hamburg
Pete
and say goodbye to your pretty paint job

Protonus

I tried the grease + drill bit method this weekend but found that the bit had to be exactly 10mm out it doesn't work. All the sae and letter sizes i had weren't close enough. So i used the "tap and bolt" method, worked great.

1982 with full '83 fairings

Rick G

Like I said 10 mm drill bits aren't very common here.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rick G on April 16, 2012, 02:44:29 AM
Who would have a metric bike without a set of metric drills? Do you guys use imperial socket sets as well?

Protonus

Quote from: roro on May 09, 2012, 06:46:21 AM
Quote from: Rick G on April 16, 2012, 02:44:29 AM
Who would have a metric bike without a set of metric drills? Do you guys use imperial socket sets as well?

My cars are metric too... they have been since the early 80's.  So ya, I have full manual socket/wrench sets that see more use than my USA ones.  But why, would I ever need a set of metric drill bits for the bike?! Between letter bits and SAE bits, there is always a close enough size.  Except for perhaps, this particular trick... I just don't see what you're drilling on the bike other than getting bolts that are damaged out in which case you'd use a smaller bit anyways...???

1982 with full '83 fairings

Rikugun

I've made do with primarily fractional bits. Even my metric taps call out fractional bit sizes to be used. I have a numbered set to "bridge the gap" in the smaller sizes but rarely have the need for most of my mechanical work.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan