News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

First ride of the season!

Started by Protonus, April 28, 2012, 07:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Protonus

Did my first ride of the season last night and man did I need it! Who cares if it was 38 degrees (actually I think anyone would, I didn't see ANY one else riding LOL), didn't stop me from putting 35 miles on the bike though all around town (do need to get a better way of covering my neck, I'm leaning towards one of these: http://goo.gl/HMGQU ). I did all the repairs I meant to do over winter (and a lot more), in just the last few weeks, and I'm happy to report my bike is starting, running, and stopping better than ever! AsI did the following:
1.) Repaired/rebuilt my starter clutch that started to fail end of last year (that was the main project). Did the bolt mod to prevent it from failing again.
2.) Fully rebuilt my starter motor - upgraded oil seal as wel
3.) Swapped out the clutch discs/plates for nearly new ones that were hardly worn. Adjusted clutch, and clutch lever
4.) Flushed my front brake fluid, filled with fresh and bled. Adjusted pedal/lever throw for the rear/front brakes.
5.) Upgraded to John / Tiger's spark plug wires. Removed a wire nut the prior owner had on one of my coil wires lol - and soldered/heatshrinked the connection instead, cleaned some grounds.
6.) Switched over to Motul 5100 10w40 semi synthetic oil, new oil filter, changed shaft drive gear oil
7.) Flushed my cooling system, and upgraded to a blend of Maxima Coolanol, Redline Water Wetter, and distilled water.

1982 with full '83 fairings

Tiger

Double thumbs up buddy... 8) I bet you still have THAT smile on your face ;D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

AdvRich

8) Well done Protonus. Should be a good season of riding for you.

For my cold riding ventures, I have a stretchy synthetic, mid weight, long sleeve turtle neck base layer (EMS I think) that pulls up easily and tucks in the back of my FF helmet and up to my chin. I then trap it against my chin, to stay in place, when I strap up the helmet. My neck stays real warm with it, combined with the electric vest and jacket. If it gets really cold on tours, I've got a thin balaclava as back up.

Protonus

Quote from: AdvRich on April 28, 2012, 11:20:49 PM
8) Well done Protonus. Should be a good season of riding for you.

For my cold riding ventures, I have a stretchy synthetic, mid weight, long sleeve turtle neck base layer (EMS I think) that pulls up easily and tucks in the back of my FF helmet and up to my chin. I then trap it against my chin, to stay in place, when I strap up the helmet. My neck stays real warm with it, combined with the electric vest and jacket. If it gets really cold on tours, I've got a thin balaclava as back up.

That's a good idea. I'm going to start with that chin guard so i can take it off easily, Schampa makes great products for face/neck for riding.  Hope to order one today or find it local.  I need to get better cold weather gear, all of my stuff is summer gear. I'm very warm blooded and don't mind riding in the cold, but I took a ride at 32deg F the other day and that was definitely too cold for my summer gloves, and my 3 seasons jacket alone (mesh jacket with zip in liner).  Electric/heated gear sounds nice.  I think if I threw  heated vest over my 3 season jacket that would work.  Some heated gloves or grips would be great...

1982 with full '83 fairings

fret not

Just by putting your rain gear over your summer riding gear you will be a lot warmer.  The main point is to stop the wind from getting to your surface.

And hand guards are a great idea to divert the blast of cold air from directly on your hands, unless you have a fairing to do that job.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Quote from: fret nut on May 01, 2012, 11:54:18 PM
And hand guards are a great idea to divert the blast of cold air from directly on your hands...

On the SV board a newbie commented on another member's picture showing hand guards by asking: "Where can I get a set of those fist fairings?"     :)  :D  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Mid Life Crisis

Fist fairings!!!!!    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan