News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

LED turn signals questions

Started by twolfie85, May 01, 2012, 04:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twolfie85

Hey everybody, I want to start by saying that when it comes to anything electrical, I am completely clueless... so naturally I decided to tinker...
well I just ordered some new, smaller turn signals for my vision, and wanted something very bright, and was looking at LEDs... I ordered two pairs and have since realized that I maybe should have done some more research on which ones were bright and which ones weren't so much... thats another topic.

So I am wondering, am I going to need some type of load resistor? I am fairly certain I am, but I'm not entirely sure what is involved with that, do I need a certain one? It seems like I will need 1 per pair, is that true? Is there anything I should know about installing them? (READ: CLUELESS)

Thanks for your patience!

TW
1982 XZ550

lexx790

You aren't that clueless as you are correct with the load relay, the blinking relay needs it to flash at the correct rate.
Look on ebay for either LED load resistors or this.- http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=led+load&_sacat=See-All-Categories
I think you will need LED front and rear, not mixing.
I got smaller indicators from ebay with standard bulbs.

Protonus

I've done this conversion.  I'm sorry I haven't done a tutorial yet but I have pics and videos.... I've got the brightest tiny ones I could. Either way, don't use the resisters, that's a hack. You need to wire in an LED flasher instead, you can put it right where the stock one is and it's an easy job... I'm sorry when I get more time I can post pictures and links - I need to pull em off an external drive, but I hope this gets you started.

1982 with full '83 fairings

Re-Vision

Doesn't replacing the flasher relay cause you to lose the the self cancellation feature?    BDC

Rick G

More than likely, I have a Vision flasher on the VX , It doesn't have the self canceling feature , so one  pin is unused.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

twolfie85

1982 XZ550

twolfie85

1982 XZ550

fret not

I would contact the seller for that information.  Since they make the parts they should know what it takes to make them work.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

They look pretty cool! Appear to replace the license plate hardware which makes for an easy install. You would not need resistors for those.

The LED's draw less watts and that's only a problem for the turnsignal relay. It requires a certain amount of draw to heat up a bi-metal strip integral to it's proper function. Adding the resistors increases the draw to match the OEM incandescent bulbs.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

twolfie85

thanks rikugun, thats exactly the explanation that I needed

TW
1982 XZ550

Lucky

Autozone sells a 2 balast resistor kit for led lights. very similar to the old ceramic resistors used by old cars with external regulators, but designed for led lights
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

Quote from: twolfie85 on May 06, 2012, 12:15:52 PM
thanks rikugun, thats exactly the explanation that I needed  TW

Glad to help  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan