News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New tires?

Started by Mid Life Crisis, May 02, 2012, 04:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Life Crisis

Anybody heard of Kenda 657 tires?

Price is a consideration but Royal distributing has these for $125 for the set.  Wondering if they are worth it?

Alternatively I am into $255 for a set of Bridgestone battleaxe's

And then there is the $170 to install them .

your thoughts?

Yes I know it is a safety item and tires are huge in the handleing and character of the bike.  Not working right now means not spending if I can help it.

Lucky

I ran a set of Battleasses on my tourer. Didn't like them, felt like they were going to break free on a hard corner, but they did wear well...  others here have liked them (helpful huh, lol)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

I have no experience with Kenda street tires but anything new is better than bald!  :)  A search of the interweb will probably yield some feedback. Like anything else, search long enough you'll find opinions that range from good to bad. It's up to you to find the commonalities and oft mentioned good/bad points and make your own decision.

When I first got my V I ran a mixed set of tires that were the best of the lot from it and the parts bike I bought. I wasn't going to spend tire money til the bike was proved out and I decided to keep it.  :-\  The rear was a Cheng Shin and the front a BT45 Battleax.  The rear CS I was a bit leery of but knew their reputation has gotten much better in recent years. I felt better about the front as at least that was a popular brand and model tire.

I ended up running them for a good 4000 + miles before I replaced them and can't really say they were bad other than a little twitchy when flirting with pavement seams in the direction of travel. That I attributed to the wear on them as received but can't say for sure. The only other caveat is being a fair weather rider now, I have no knowledge of their wet weather performance.  :-[  :)

The bottom line is anything new is probably better than tires were just 10 years ago. Speaking of new, check the date code when you get them. Most manufactures will recall anyhting 5+ years old from warehouses but good to check.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kiwi

I have a Kenda on the rear tire and have not had any problems.
I bought it b/c it was cheap.  Feels fine to me.
I was comfortable buying them b/c i have run Kenda tires on many a bicycle with no problems.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Rick G

I used Chicken shite tyres for quite a while . The marques was a take off of an older Avon pattern.
I would still buy them , but they were sued because the load  rating in English, did not match the the metric equivalent.  The decided to no longer sell street tyres in the US.
I've run Kendas they have very stiff carcass and wear like iron . There not my favorite tyre when it comes to handling . Had a set of BS spit fires, they worked OK. I had  Dunlops too , but they took forever to bed in and then wore out .  I'm using Shenko's now . Have a set on the VX  and the rear on the XZ . I like them a lot , price is good, they wear well and they handle very well . (there made in Korea)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

Seems to me $170 is a lot to pay for installation.  I used to work at a small shop that sold tires and offered free installation and balance for a while.  They were paying me for my time anyway so why not have me put tires on as well as sell them. 

I have a set of tire levers and change my own tires most of the time.  If you are not familiar with the process it can be a wrestling match but if you are out on the road and don't have a choice it is much better to have the experience BEFORE you need it.  Just knowing how to do the job is half the battle.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!