News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

A visit from family

Started by Rick G, June 01, 2012, 11:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

By the way , I am fully healed up from my surgery and am riding again .

My Daughter and Husband  came for a visit  and the first thing that happened , after his 1100 Yamaha ,rolled off of the trailer, was the starter clutch went south . Apparently YIC has had a problem with these things. The bike only had 30,000 miles on it . The hard facing on both the inner and outer races was destroyed. Its built different than the XZ clutch , with its three rollers . It has about 40 little dog bone shaped devices, that toggle back and forth. Yamaha sent a kit with the new clutch , a gasket and a new starter reduction shaft which is supported in needle bearings , as opposed to the old one running in the case.
He wanted to do it him self, so I  installed the new assembly in the flywheel and installed  the needle bearings. He had  popped the  clutch off with out marking the timing gears. When I pointed out the error of his ways . He asked to have my friend Hector ( we worked together at Dunton Motors Arctic cat)  If he would figure out where to put it back . ( I was fine with this as I didn't want to be involved in, what I felt was sure to be a "cluster  F..."  )
To make a long story shorter, they missed the mark and bent the intake valve on the rear cylinder. Soooooo, they trailered the bike back to OR. and dropped it off at the dealers , who quoted $1700. to install a new intake valve. Thank you, I'll take a Vision any day!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

Well, that was amusing!  Reminds me of the old ad on TV, "Mother, please!  I'd rather do it myself".   Does anyone remember what that ad was selling?  Like so many ads, the ad is memorable but the subject they were selling is forgotten.  They still do it today.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on June 01, 2012, 11:34:15 PM
By the way , I am fully healed up from my surgery and am riding again .

I'll take a Vision any day!!

Superb to know that you are now well enough to be back in the saddle Rick...Ride safe 8)

...and I'll 'second' the Vision thing my friend 8) 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

Yikes that is a bummer  :(  I'll bet he was kicking himself in the ass for a while over that one....

Glad to hear the procdure went well and you're riding again Rick!  : ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan