I saw an XJ650 recently

Started by munkyfistfight, June 04, 2012, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

I think it was the turbo because I looked it up online afterwards. They had the same wheels as the Vision? Were the two similar bikes? I'm not too familiar but the seca looks pretty cool too.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

fret not

Not sure about the turbo but the standard Seca 650 has spiraled spokes, like a pin wheel.  I bought one in '82.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

The turbo's have the same wheels as the xz550
I rode a 750 Seca some years back , it was vastly superior to a 750 honda, But had the high frequency buzz , that I dislike in 4 cyl bikes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

munkyfistfight

Yeah, it just made me do a double-take when I saw the wheels. The stylings looked similar. I rode my first 4-cyl the other day. It was a cool bike ('75 CB550) but I could definitely tell the difference vs. the v-twin 550. It was night and day.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Jimustanguitar

Rick G

He is mistaken , 900's weren't turbo charged.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

I had completely forgotten about the 900 Seca. Was that just a one year wonder?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

Quote from: Rick G on June 05, 2012, 02:48:19 AM
He is mistaken , 900's weren't turbo charged.

I hope the seller isn't trying to misrepresent their item. I can't make any claim to knowing the history of Yamaha models past (other than a very little bit about the Vision), so I posted this solely based on what the auction said it was... Sorry :)

Regardless of what the bike in the auction actually is, it sure looks sharp! I like the styling a lot.

Rikugun

Rick is correct - the seller is a little confused! You can see the CV carbs in both pictures. All the factory turbos were 650 except for the Kawi.

It is a sharp bike though with some nice features including anti dive forks and shaft drive with rear disk.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

treedragon

I bought a new 650 Turbo, liked it, when it boosted that is. It was the styling that caught my eye back then, did me fine until they brought out the FJ1100.

It went really well after you dealt to the waste gate which had a habit of opening at around 3lb boost and hardly worth the title of "turbo" at that.  I never did get a figure for how much it boost too after that but I do have fond memories of one trip, 500k of twisties and short fast straights, trashed a new Metzler into beaded rubbery mess with stringy looking inserts  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D   :o

There is always a way

don_vanecek

650 turbo, picture is from a few years ago now.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on June 05, 2012, 06:45:10 PM
All the factory turbos were 650 except for the Kawi.
and the CX500TC

Rikugun

I stand corrected  :-[ The first year Honda turbo was a 500.

Rick G

I believe the blue Yamaha next o the turbo is a YDS3 , but it could be  aYM1.
Rick G

AdvRich

Yeap, I was working at the store selling parts for them back in the day. The '83 900 seca is a one year only bike. Along with the anti dive, it has a fork brace, ventilated disks front and rear, fully adjustable handle bars and I think a fuel gauge too. For a while I was looking for one to use the wider rear wheel and disk set up for the Vee. I toyed with the idea of the forks, triple tree, bridge, and handle bars too, thinking it would have been nice if Yammy had put them on the Vee also. The wheel design is similar to the Vee but more like the RZ350 with a cast part and hole in the middle of each set of spokes. It's also really an 850 in displacement and basically the same motor as the 650 and 750 non turbo versions

The Seca turbo is a 650 and came out in '82 and '83. The '83 is the better with larger forks and fuel tank as well as turbo tweaks from the get go, but the '82 had an update kit available for it. I test rode an '82 new and it was a bit flexy and wow did I learn about boost coming on in an exiting turn as the front end lightened up... Brakes were no better than the '83 Vees and it sorely needed better ones. The wheel design is the same as the Vee, but the front is a 19" and the rear, while the same width and 18", does have a larger drum brake. I've got an '83 in the garage, awaiting attention this coming winter for sale next year. They are the only turbo of the period that used a pressurized carburetor set up. I have yet to open them up and wonder what the throttle shaft seals look like for that set up.  They do make nice tourers I've heard.  

Tiger

Quote from: treedragon on June 05, 2012, 06:58:56 PM
...did me fine until they brought out the FJ1100.

Now the FJ1100 is a real nice sport-tourer with good 'get-up-and-go' when needed... 8)

I've always liked the Seca Turbo...from a distance ;) Another quirky ride I have considered but then 'shelved' :P

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

Quote from: AdvRich on June 06, 2012, 09:54:51 PM
were the only turbo of the period that used a pressurized carburetor set up. I have yet to open them up and wonder what the throttle shaft seals look like for that set up.    

As Treedragon pointed out, maybe the anemic boost they delivered could be handled with good quality conventional seals?

don_vanecek

yeah, I have a picture of a 900 also, by the way the headlight you see next to his right arm is my Vision.

AdvRich

There's also John Fife's Seca 900 with a turbo fairing grafted on for a little more of the Seca twist. http://vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94:jon-fifes-yamaha-seca-900-special&catid=52:stories&Itemid=77

There's also his Yamaha Seca 900 FB page if you'd like more info about his creation and parts sourcing, etc. (I'm no longer on FB to get a link, but it should come up with a search within the site)

Rikugun

That's sharp! When I searched for images on the 900 I think that picture came up and I was stumped initially as I remembered them as having a small cafe fairing!  :)