News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

NEW PAINT

Started by coyote_killer, June 09, 2012, 01:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote_killer

I am finally going to repaint my V after owning her for 26 years.  Bought her new in May of 1986.  She is black.  I am considering a "purple ghost pearl" or maybe just a purple pearl paint job.  Purple ghost pearl is an ultra high gloss black paint job that glosses purple in the light.   Which should I do?
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

fret not

Which should YOU do?  What do YOU like?  A well done paint job usually looks good no matter the color, and a poor job looks bad no matter the color.  I was quite taken by the red snakeskin job that appeared here last year.  It could be done in any color.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

coyote_killer

Do you have a link to a pic of the paint job that you are referring to? 

Also,  I was mainly interested in getting the general reaction to the thought of a pearl purple V as opposed to the traditional black appearance of the purple ghost pearl.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fret not

Thanks, Lucky.  That's the one!  Something like that could be done in any color. 

JohnAMcG

Sounds like you are asking if we will make fun of you for having a purple bike? 
-JM

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

coyote_killer

Quote from: JohnAMcG on June 12, 2012, 08:53:21 AM
Sounds like you are asking if we will make fun of you for having a purple bike? 

Actually I already have one purple bike.  Its a YZ490.  When people make fun of my purple, pink and white YZ490 I just tell them "lets see you ride it!!!".  However the V is a very docile beast so that changes things a little.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

coyote_killer

Here is a video of a Hardley done in purple ghost pearl over black as I was suggesting and also blue.  Watch how it glosses purple as the camera moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozUIppuhDk
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

coyote_killer

Actually, come to think of it,  I have never had anyone make fun of my purple, pink and white YZ490.  The colors just seem to make them that much more scared of her.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

Raj1988

Quote from: coyote_killer on June 12, 2012, 07:50:38 PM
Here is a video of a Hardley done in purple ghost pearl over black as I was suggesting and also blue.  Watch how it glosses purple as the camera moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozUIppuhDk

you can't dress up a pig and call it a motorcycle, even if it is a purple dress  ;)
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Re-Vision

You can dress them up and call them a "Hog".     BDC

Rick G

Looks at lot like something built by Dutch Star!! LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D Nice colour though.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

That paint is not something you will be doing at home unless you have very sophisticated equipment and commensurate skills.  It looks very nice as long as it stays nice but difficult (impossible) to make any effective touch ups if needed.  Please pardon my pragmatic approach to finish work, but I'm thinking of the expense, fuss, and bother VS the long term outcome.  But, you might not keep the bike another 26 years, so why not go for it?

Rick G

I painted tradein bikes in the sixties, using Schwinn bicycle spray can paint. (very good stuff, discontinued in the '80's) We turned out some really nice 2 colour paint schemes. When I decided to repaint my first vision,in 1999, I used bug bomb paint from the auto parts store. It turned out very well , but was not very gas resistant. bug bomb paint has gotten worse ever since. I finally gave up on spray cans  3 years ago. I'm using a urethane. I bought a spray gun from a friend (15.00), which, as it turned out was more suitable for trucks! I found a second one at the swap meet, for 10.00 , which is very good on smaller projects , like motorcycles. My compressor was only intended to air up tyres and remove the occasional nut, so when a neighbour had a garage sale, I bought his rebuilt 2 hp, compound compressor(100.00). With it  I painted my Vx800 Suzuki and was very pleased with the result. This paint is very hardy and shines beautifully. There is some expense involved ( paint and thinner was around 125.00) but the product was outstanding. I have a connection at Dream Machines , a custom body and paint shop, associated with the Arctic cat shop where I used to work, but even so it would have run 4 to 5 hundred dollars to get it painted . The painter there Kaylin Johnson was very generous with advice and this made the difference.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

coyote_killer

Quote from: fret nut on June 13, 2012, 12:06:02 AM
That paint is not something you will be doing at home unless you have very sophisticated equipment and commensurate skills.  It looks very nice as long as it stays nice but difficult (impossible) to make any effective touch ups if needed.  Please pardon my pragmatic approach to finish work, but I'm thinking of the expense, fuss, and bother VS the long term outcome.  But, you might not keep the bike another 26 years, so why not go for it?

Me and my Dad have painted a few cars so we have all of the necessary equipment.  Plus it will surprise you to learn that doing a ghost pearl paint job is no harder than doing a standard base coat /clear coat paint job.  You just add the step of spraying the ghost pearl in between the base and the clear coats.  Easy and cheap.  The purple ghost pearl pigment I want to use is just $11.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

iain

The purple ghost pearl pigment do you add it to the base coat or clear coat???

Iain
NZ

coyote_killer

Quote from: iain on June 13, 2012, 07:58:07 PM

Iain
NZ

You can put it in either a base or mix it in a clear.  I will probably just mix it in my clear coat so that I have less stuff to buy.  Motorcycles take very little paint.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

coyote_killer

Quote from: coyote_killer on June 13, 2012, 08:25:58 PM
Quote from: iain on June 13, 2012, 07:58:07 PM

Iain
NZ

You can put it in either a base or mix it in a clear.  I will probably just mix it in my clear coat so that I have less stuff to buy.  Motorcycles take very little paint.

You still have to do it in 3 steps but you can use the clear coat to carry the pigment.
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750