Euro Blackie takes the checkered flag again!

Started by kwells, July 01, 2012, 03:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Went back up the I76 Speedway for saturday night races again. I was unsure how I would do but managed to pull out the win.

The competition:

-82 xz550
-07 HD Nightster 1200
-70s CB360T
-02 Suzuki TL1000(inane cathode)

2nd time being on the track with 2 wins now. It's all downhill from here. Mega fun doing it on a Vision. Should be back out there next week too. Pics to come.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

This is too easy, you should pull a spark plug wire off next time for more of a challenge!  :D

The Nightster has lines reminiscent of an XR but I doubt handles a dirt track like one. Did the Honda come in second again or was the finish order how you listed the bikes?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kwells

Yeh HOnda 2nd

1-xz
2-360T
3-Vstrom
4-HD

My new TT600 rear shock and freshened front fork oil helped me keep the bike leaned hard in the ruted turns. 2nd gear revved out to about 11500 in the straights before I had to grab for the brakes. Love the sound of the Mac pipes going into the straights. This week the Vision wasn't running so good. Think I had a vacuum leak on one of the capped YICS port. I thought the big bores would catch me in the straights but have yet to see anyone even keep up in a drag race to the corner. Last time the BMW1150 held off being passed until the corner.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Kwells you make me envious !!! I wish I was young enough to to take a shot at it!!  How about having someone take a few pics?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

stuckinlodi

Those pipes were designed for turning left;)

kwells

Here's a few pics that were taking by my wife from the stands. Hard to get good pics through a fence though. I ordered a print from the track photographer from the 1st race.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

No wonder the Honda came in second....the other two couldn't get around his flags!  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Ron_McCoy

Go Kevin, go! Leave the plug wire on. Show them where the power is.

Rick G

Thanks for the pics Kevin, I saved one on my photo bucket page!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

VisionMeister

Looks like a blast. Did you lap them all like the first time?

kwells

No lapping this time. The race was only held to 6 laps instead of the 12 like last time. I think everyone was on the same lap so the field was a little more comfortable with their bikes I think than last time.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

kwells, congratulations and kudos for your effort.  You make us all proud, you know.  How about some more aggressive tires?  Or would that not help?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kwells

I'm running Shinko 705 Trail Masters. They are the most aggressive tires I've ever run on any street bike other than the Golden Boys on my CL200. I'm thinking of letting pressures down some...what you think?

Here's a link to the tires I put on

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ32902?utm_source=none&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&gclid=CK3q8_Po_LACFbEBQAodSH_0DQ

www.wellsmoto.com

stuckinlodi

are you actually spinning the tire?  Id say that lower pressure  will def. hook up better,

kwells

The front seems to stick for the most part. Coming out of the turn when I get back on the gas I'll light the rear up. When the clay is still soft it'll throw the bike around when the rear breaks loose.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

A dual sport tyre , like the Shinko, would probably work well.  Your not turning the speeds, that we saw at Ascot Park , long ago but there is a similarity . back then they used either Pirellis or Dunlop K70's . The tyre tread were cut to restore the edge , using a razor blade and a pair of vise grips. The dual sport tyres remind me of those. You should have some wheel spin, as this is the most effective way to turn , at speed, on a clay track. What kind of speeds are you reaching  at the end of the straight?
Rick G

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rick G on July 01, 2012, 08:04:11 PM
I wish I was young enough to to take a shot at it!!
My uncle started racing a few years back on his BSA,  Street and track - he is 75

Rick G

I have a lot of arthritus , its so bad in my left thumb , that I have to leave my thumb on top of the grip and not wrap it around. I pull the clutch in using my palm and fingers. Still hurts like hell most of the time! I'm going to take it up with my doctor , maybe shots in the joint will solve it. I would accept having it frozen in place as long as it would wrap around the grip.

I have 3 XL350 Honda's  and have been known to go like hell across the desert, but you really have to hang on on rough ground  and  my ability to do that is compromised.
Rick G

fret not

As I recall the XL350s were stout motors and could be pumped for a lot of power.  Webco faded out as Powroll rose to power, lots of aftermarket trinkets available at the time, but the 2 strokes were on top of the hill so to speak. 

Not having much experience in dirt racing I tentatively offer what I learned on asphalt tracks:  if you transfer your weight forward the back steps out but the front is planted, if you transfer your weight back too far the front steps out (not good), you need to find the balance to keep the front planted and the back just beginning to step out.  You probably already do this automatically and don't think about it.

It always amazed me to watch Kenny Roberts, who grew up on dirt tracks, take his abilities to the paved circuits and consistently win.  It wasn't smooth or dependable at first but he got smoother and much more reliable to take the win, even in Europe.  That was really something to see and understand, as the Europeans basically invented road racing and had dominated the scene since it started. 

Struggling to go ever faster, , leaning farther, shaving the micro seconds for braking, acceleration: piling on the agony (Barry Sheen)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

There still pumping up XL's , there is a good forum , with lots of knowledgable  members (like the ROV)  You can still get enough parts  to keep one going or soup one up. Rings just became available for the first time in years. The XLs are nose heavy and the best way to steer then, in the dirt is to crawl up on the gas tank and let the rear end hang out. If your on rough ground, you  get as far back as you can and let the front end work . Tyres are extremely important , Too much traction in the rear and it won't steer. a poor tyre in the front  and it will wash out. Ask me how I know!
There stone reliable  and  performed better than the 500 brit singles that proceeded them. They were lots lighter and easier to ride.  I 'm not a Honda fan , but I like the 350 singles.
I'd love to go to the track Kwells rides, at and see how it would do!
Rick G