Euro Blackie takes the checkered flag again!

Started by kwells, July 01, 2012, 03:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

I'm wrapping 2nd gear out to about 11k(rev limiter cut) at the end of the straight. According the the tech data sheet that puts me right around 60mph coming in hot at the turn and full on the brakes. I always want to shift into 3rd for a second but that would prob make me lose more time in shifts. I don't truly ride flat track style like the pros. I'd need some serious training to get that kind of finesse down with this heavy beast.
Hopefully I fixed my odd running issue by replacing my YICS caps. Another race this saturday so I'll know soon.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I was never an expert on this type of riding , but I learned a lot by watching and rode a little TT. You really need a hot shoe,  or at least  a boot with a flat sole. You sit as far forward as possible and put lots of weight on the left leg  IE: hot shoe . Steer with the slide, using mostly throttle to bring the rear end around. On tighter tracks like short track , 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile (like Ascot which was a "small 1/2 mile) "stuff" the bike down  on the left side. Keep your right knee tight to the tank .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

I did push the left side in some but the rear never broke free as a controlled move to steer.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

Another example of a skill that takes a while to develop, like a thousand times or more.  Experience will take you farther, especially now that you have some.  As long as you are winning I'd say you are doing just fine, but when you no longer win you will want to look carefully at each aspect of the process so you can fine tune each aspect.  They all add up to more wins if you stick with the process.  Be careful, this sort of stuff can be addicting!

I think you might benefit from some practice time so you get familiar with the power slide process of shifting your weight, applying throttle, wrestling the bike, etc.  It seems the fast guys hold the throttle on longer

Weight forward should allow the rear to step out under acceleration.  You have a steep learning curve to deal with, but I think you will get on top of this and win some more.  You might talk with some of the older faster riders about technique, they have been there and probably have some answers.

Watching the speedway riders go at it tells me they all can power slide but some do it better and faster than others.  The fastest guys pick up their inside foot to get as much weight on the rear wheel for traction as they can.  So effectively they are powering through the turns with no feet on the ground, just the wheels.  It looks really smooth and cool but must be riding the razor's edge of balance.  Just a little rut and whoops!

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kwells

I don't think I'll have any time this week but want to head over to the IMI track to to some practicing. If I could get the rear to break free through the turn I would probably cut my times by 25%. When the track is wet I can break the rear free just for fun but it never amounts to anything.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

Have fun but be carefull out there. Your mostly stock Vision doesn't have the power to weight ratio, weight bias, suspension geometry/setup, etc. of a flat tracker. High siding would be a bummer.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

The problem with trying to power through the turns, is that a fair amount of speed is needed to make it work ( a fair amount of cajones too!) I'd love to try it on my XL350, not so  sure about doing it on a road going Vision.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

Kevin, that is so cool, I hadn't read this until this morning, that looks like so much fun!  The rule about having  to ride, to and from, the track, cracks me up!!  Staying in second, sounds good also, unless the thing will pull the full lap in third, third, might be easier to ride.  Tape  a bunch of layers of plastic milk jug to your boot, to make it slip when you put it down.  Benny Boy must not like you anymore???  HA HA HA   I would sure try 20 PSI, or less air in those tires.  I had at pair of Shinko 712 and had to run em like 20 on the street, to make them work, otherwise, they slipped, from not heating up.  Don't bust your ass, and keep beatin BEN
" border="0

kwells

This week's race got cancelled due to rain. I went through 50 miles of rain on the way out and the full 80 miles trip back to Denver. On the plus side my tires hold the road pretty good at highway speeds and my rain gear works pretty well.

www.wellsmoto.com

supervision

Hear's another thing, I thought of.  Second gear start, rev the hell out of it, make sure you are standing over  the bike, lots of revs,  and drop it, this needs to be practiced. 
" border="0

kwells

yeh, I need to head up to the IMI short track for some practice time.

www.wellsmoto.com