Where do I start?

Started by unitivegreybird, July 10, 2012, 03:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Just in time to drain the battery.

Rikugun

Quote from: unitivegreybird on July 21, 2012, 07:19:15 PM
its just a two postion lighted switch with three leads to it: ground, 12v in(with an inline fuse), acc power out, which has a connector to both lights. the 2 foggies have the acc in and a ground. Would i wire the 12v in to the switch from the black/blue? or just bypass the switch and wire the lights into the black/blue wire?

I'd suggest getting a common fog light relay. Here's a typical auto wiring scheme. The power will come straight from the battery through a fuse (similar to what you're doing now) - position 30 on the relay. The connection to the blue/black (12v to dimmer switch) I mentioned earlier is only a slight draw from the bike's harness/lights to trigger the relay at position 85. In the pic they're using the low beam circuit to trigger the relay as many states only allow auxiliary light with the low beams. You could do the same tapping into the green low beam wire at the headlight.

Note the wire colors in the picture are not that of the Vision, it's just a diagram from the interwebs.....wire colors I referenced are from the Vision

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

unitivegreybird

I guess this thread is evolving into a sort of build thread for me now  :laugh:

When I purchased the bike it was nekkid, but did come with the full fairing and mounting hardware (I think  ???)

From hunting with the search function, I know that I do have the illusive W bracket, but it appears that my oil filler tube was sawzalled into multiple pieces by the PO.

Now, I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a complete list of brackets and such that I can compare with what I have on hand, to see what I' missing? Or if I posted a picture of what i do have would the venerable ROVers be able to assist me?

2. I absoulutly loath the square headlight+fairing combo. I think that it really dates the bike. As much as I love Battlestar Galactica, I do not want a Viper mkI as my commuter  :D
However, I love the venting system on the lower half. Does anyone have any examples, suggestions, or ideas on how I can either adapt the upper to use a round headlight, or maybe combine the lowers with another universal fairing that will accept a 7in round?

Also, I mounted up some ammo cans to the back of the bike, gives it a great look. Father in law said it looks like "one of those end of the world, mel gibson bikes." Which reminds me, I need to watch Mad Max soon    :P
1983 Yamaha Vision - Aesir
Everett, WA

Rick G

Ok, the rectangular head light is dated , but in my opinion , its worth it to have the fairing. As to modifying the fairing, to accept a 7 inch round , sure, if your skilled in fiberglass modification . If not you could create an ugly mess and destroy the fairing .  The lowers are only going to work with  the Vision '83 style fairing .
In the end you have to decide, if you can live with the rectangular H/L  or not . Several have changed to a round headlight, non that I know of, have done so with the fairing.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

unitivegreybird

Ok that's what I was thinking. I have no expierence with any sort of glassing and I don't have the heart to start hacking up a full fairing.
Everett, WA

Rikugun

here ya go  Treedragon's nicely done headlight mod
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

unitivegreybird

Quote from: Rikugun on August 03, 2012, 09:48:01 AM
here ya go  Treedragon's nicely done headlight mod

that is a damn fine bike!

so spent the day yesterday cleaning up wiring, running a distribution block, adding a second fuse box, and hooking up some led strips to the bottom of the ammo cans. Gives a nice soft red glow that covers the exhaust and rear wheel, should help with visibility.

but...my starter has started 'whirring' every so often. the bike has about 28k on it now, and judging by the electrical tape insulation hack job on the starter it may have been rebuilt in the past. but, just for good measure i'd like to rebuild it.

should I pick up any other parts, or will this kit be sufficent?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REPAIR-KIT-YAMAHA-XZ550R-VISION-1982-1983-/140669965705?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c0955589&vxp=mtr#ht_3102wt_934

thanks guys!
Everett, WA

Rikugun

That kit looks complete for the starter. Did you happen to address the starter clutch when you had the alternator cover off? I hope the "whirring" isn't the starter clutch spinning but not engaging.  :(

Are you using 40mm ammo cans and what would you guess the weight is per box? I looked at them and 20mm cans in lieu of panniers but once you got to the sizes that would be usefull they're too heavy even empty.

unitivegreybird

I haven't taken a moment to look at the starter clutch bolts yet, as I just learned about all that a few days ago. That's what the whirring feels like. I'll hit the start button and the starter spins nice and strong, but doesn't engage. When I release the start button the starter spins down, and right at the last second I can feel it 'catch' and just barely crank the engine. This happens maybe every other day, and usually I can just hit the starter again and it fires right up.

As far as the ammo cans go, I'm not sure what size they are, I'll take a look after work. They are fairly hefty, but not overly so. Though the other day, I dropped the bike (fatherinlaws dog jumped on me when I was lowering the sidestand  >:() and the only damage to the bike was a broken bar end mirror (that needed to be replaced anyways). The ammo can took the brunt of the fall.
I do need to figure out a better mounting system though. I have them bolted to where the turn signals where with some heavy duty bolts, then bolted with a bracket where the centerstand grab bar was and then suspended with a thin strip of sheet metal that snakes under the seat. It works well, but causes the cans to bounce up and down over any bumps.

Anyone know of any bolt on saddlebag mounts for the vision? or ones that are easily modifiable?
Everett, WA

unitivegreybird

So, starter issue seems to have resolved itself  :o I don't like it when things magically come and go, so tearing into the starter is still on the to do list.

Just ordered some new tires though, $110 shipped for Shinkos front and back. While I have the tires being mounted though, I need to replace the fork seals, something I've never done before. Since I'm going to be tearing into the front end anyways, any other suggestions on things to upgrade/replace?
Everett, WA

Raj1988

tapered head bearings if you haven't already done so
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

fiatracer

you definitely want to look at the starter clutch and make sure its right! it is a pain in the a$$ but better during the build than after. it makes these bikes sooo much nicer. the trick is grade 8 allens and to drill and peen the bolt ends so they dont back out! Jon
Wrench it Ride it!
1982 XZ550 sport custom
1983 XZ550 full fairing
1980 GS850 bagger
1986 Trac DH 100 SuperHawk
1973 DT100
1962 Puch Sabre 50
1963 BS 7
1961 Honda Super Cub
1984 Magna V30
1982 xz550 streetfighter
1984 vf500 Interceptor
1982 GL1100 custom

unitivegreybird

• tapered head bearings
  • accessory fuseblock and power distro
  • CB750 roundhead light
  • fork seals

Boom. I've been busy this past few weeks. Got some new tires I just need mounted and balanced though.

Though I do have a quick question. The little metal clips that guide the brake lines on the front fender, how the hell do I mount them? I cannot figure out their orientation.
Everett, WA

Tiger

Quote from: unitivegreybird on September 11, 2012, 05:18:04 PM
The little metal clips that guide the brake lines on the front fender, how the hell do I mount them? I cannot figure out their orientation.

They are held in place by the H H cap screws that hold the front fender in place... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Raj1988

got a set of krausers that could be made to fit
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Rikugun

I like the notion of the round headlight. I was skeptical at first but I'm now sold on the idea and think it's a good look.  Is the Honda bucket for a 7" light? Did you happen to have that or choose it for it's size?

Drikk14

I ordered that same kit it has everything you'd need to rebuild as stated in another thread the brush to bolt wire/lead is tight in length but it works. ALSO they have replacement bushings that I didn't use as the ones in my starter were nice and smooth I'm guessing from the oil bath they had for a few years =)
1983 Vision, Work in Progress

unitivegreybird

Quote from: Tiger on September 11, 2012, 05:21:35 PM
Quote from: unitivegreybird on September 11, 2012, 05:18:04 PM
The little metal clips that guide the brake lines on the front fender, how the hell do I mount them? I cannot figure out their orientation.

They are held in place by the H H cap screws that hold the front fender in place... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)

Let me rephrase that. I know they share those bolts with the fender, my problem is I can;t figure out the damned orientation of the little buggers. I just can't remember from when I took them off.  :'(

Quote from: Rikugun on September 12, 2012, 09:18:28 AM
I like the notion of the round headlight. I was skeptical at first but I'm now sold on the idea and think it's a good look.  Is the Honda bucket for a 7" light? Did you happen to have that or choose it for it's size?

I heard someone mention a CB750 bucket fitting. I bought one off ebay, and dremlled out the back of the bucket, as it was an extremely tight fit against the back of the headlight mount that comes down from the gauges. The horn bumped a little against it as well, I managed to just bend that sucker out of the way, maybe an 1/8 of an inch.
Everett, WA

unitivegreybird

plasti dip on the gas tank and tail, side covers are next  :laugh:

got the new tires on. though I do have a question.

the right side of the rear axle seems to stick out a bit further than I remember, in fact it will scrape the side of the muffler when I take a large bump. Also, I noticed today that there is a slight amount of play in the steering head. It's especially noticeable under braking. What could be a possible cause of this?
Everett, WA

Rikugun

I like the auxilary lights and turnsignals. What brand tires did you use? Oh, and can you post a pic of the rear axle situation too?