El Paso County Fair-Calhan, CO

Started by kwells, July 19, 2012, 02:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Well, this weekend is another one of those Hooligan races. This one is closer to Colorado Springs. I think this one is free entry. If you wanna get your Vision dirty with some short track time come on out.
Here's a link

http://hooligansracingassociation.com/
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

I guess it's tough to get people out there on a dirt track with street bikes. We had 3 bikes show for this one.

-89 Kaw zx7
-CB36oT
-xz550

This track was a D shape instead of the normal oval so turn 1 and turn 4 are pretty tricky. This track is run really well and they let us go out when we liked the conditions for out bikes. They had us do a rolling 3 wide start so it was a race for turn one. The ZX7 out ran us through the straight but started braking much earlier so I was able to cut in on him from the outside position. The ZX7 clearly had a power advantage but that quickly melted away once he was about half way through the turn. The CB360 was right there the whole time this race but Euro Blackie pulled out another checkered flag though.  We got 8 laps for the main event so we had enough time to eventually lap the ZX. There were alot of bar to bar moments but the xz was always able to out accelerate down the straight. It took to about lap 6 to find the right inside line that wasn't too rutted so the last 2 laps were definitely the fastest. The shinko 705s held the dirt track great and only tried to step out a couple times. Good times on a Vision.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

And another round of congratulations to you and the valiant XZ! ;) :D :o :laugh:

If the guy on the 360 Honda is getting closer maybe you could use a bit more coaching and practice.  There is nothing like more experience.  Just be glad no one enters with an older triumph and experience.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kwells

I think I really need to lower my tire pressures. The track gets pretty rutted in the turns and throws you off your line. The XZ weighs in about 80lbs more than the CB360. I just need to learn to get to the smoother line and never come off the throttle.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

What pressure are you running at the track?  Do you have rim locks?  Another method of keeping the tire from slipping is sheet metal screws through the rim into the side of the bead.

Just lowering the pressure without preventing the tire from slipping on the rim may cause the tire to come off or at least go flat.  Neither of which are desirable.

kwells

Running about 30psi which is pretty high for the Shinko 705s I think...Max 33. I would be comfortable with about 20psi.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Rim locks are a PIA. I would go with the sheet metal screws in the bead!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Screws in the bead!!??  Rick I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are old school my friend!  ;D  ;D  My Bultaco had them BTW - back and front.  :D

Oh, and congrat kwells for pulling out another victory!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

You might be able to get away with 20 lbs. of air without rim alterations.  I don't know.

On a little 125cc road racer I made I had to use 18 lbs. to get the tires to heat enough to grip.  That was Dunlop triangular section tires, and the bike weighed about 150 lbs.  It did not have 60+ HP like the V obviously.  Also no rim locks or screws.

supervision

Buy some tubes and screws,lower the air down to 15-20, The thing will feel like it gained an inch travel!!! lower air pressure is free spring, not to mention the size of the contact patch will be much bigger, you will gain traction!  Recently,I had to run a tube on my back wheel, because I picked up a nail, and it didn't look like a patch was going to be the answer, so  I bought a tube, and ran the tire the rest of it's life. The tubes come in a few sizes, the smaller ones, like 3.25/350, not the 3.50/4.00, would be my choice, they are cheeper, and will do the job just fine!!
" border="0