Mystery Ground

Started by Jimustanguitar, October 03, 2012, 04:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

Hey All!

I'm putting things back together and have a mystery wiring eyelet coming out of the main harness just behind the radiator. Is it a "generic" ground point that should go anywhere on the frame, or do I need to ground something specific like the cooling fan?

My guess is that it goes to the fan, but I wanted to check because I don't remember disconnecting it.

Jimustanguitar

http://www.xz550.com/wiring.html

It looks like there's only one frame ground lug in the whole harness, so I guess that's what I have. Is there a specific bolt that it goes under?

Tiger

That ground wire goes between the left side rear coil stud (nearest one to you) and the inside of the frame. Make sure the ground point is cleaned with a piece of sandpaper/emery cloth as well as the ring terminal, add a wee smear of dielectric grease/Vaseline and install. This ground goes back to the TCI... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

Great tip to clean and grease the connection to keep it from corroding.  :)

QuoteThis ground goes back to the TCI...
Well, sort of. It connects to the black that runs the length of the harness that all the other blacks (grounds) connect to including the TCI.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

I did car stereo for several years, and the number 1 problem that we fixed was poor grounding. I can't tell you how many times we'd find somebody's 4AWG amp wire twisted and taped around a trunk spring or something rediculous like that. Most of that stuff breaks because it can't find ground, so it melts your RCA cables pulling ground from your radio...

Another grounding trick (perhaps not applicable in this case) is to seal over the top of the ground with a dab of caulk so that the bare spot you put in the metal doesn't start to rust.

Thanks for the location help!

fret not

"seal over the top of the ground with a dab of caulk so that the bare spot you put in the metal doesn't start to rust."

That is what the dielectric grease is for.

One warning regarding using calk for sealing around electrical connections, most silicon RTV stuff has a lot of acetic acid and can cause rust and corrosion rather quickly. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!