News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

KYB forks on '82?

Started by Jimustanguitar, July 29, 2012, 05:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

I was workin on the V earlier and noticed a KYB sticker on one of my fork lowers. Everybody talks about the Upgraded KYB forks being on the '83, but I've not seen it mentioned about the '82. Did KYB make the forks for both years?

Rikugun

I don't know the manufacturer and don't have an 83 to compare parts with. Maybe the upgrade is simply the addition of air caps?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Many OEM forks are made by Kayaba.  The 82's are very close to the 83's . Some have added  emulators, with good results.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

treedragon

To add to Rick's comments.....

I have a set of YSS PD Fork Valves in my standard 83 forks, they (or something similar), I highly recommend them for getting the forks to work better, a lot better. They were a little fiddly getting set up correctly ie incremental adjustments to suit my ride style and much checking of tire wear, but not difficult to do and a relatively cheap upgrade, (which is why I went this way). I am running ATF in the forks and no air pressure.

I like to push my bike a bit now and again, particularly as this is a country of corners down here in NZ and the addition of these have made a big difference.

There is always a way