News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

IMI Dacono Saturday Racing 7-28

Started by kwells, July 29, 2012, 01:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Well went out there again. This week there were 7 bikes

HD-Think was an 88
xz550
Cb360
Aprillia MXV 450 Twin
Ninja 250
Seca II 600
Cb350

I placed 2nd in the heats this time right behind the Seca II so I knew I wasn't going to have the race handed to me. This track has a standing start and my starts are horrible by the way. I probably got into turn 1 about the 4th person but by the exit of turn 2 I pulled up to 2nd place both races. The main even was 8 laps I believe. I was never able to out accelerate the Seca II but figured that a wide runout on the front straight gained ground every lap. By lap 5 we were nearly touching bars. On lap 6 I pulled into the lead with an outside pass up high and held until I went to high on turn 3 almost tagging the wall. I was able to pull it back in but dropped to 3rd place. I gained back on lap 7 and 8 and was within one bike length again. At the last second the Aprillia split the 3 of us and took 3rd.
Placement was:

1-Seca II
2-CB360
3-Aprillia
4-XZ550

This one was by far the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels. I'm approaching 40 years old and starting the wonder if it's too late to start a racing career.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Novice racers are 17 years old ! But,look into Senior racing . They have  classes for 40 year old's and 50,60 and up . AHMARA  (I think that's right ) runs classic bikes,pre 1974 and old timer riders. I'll make you a heck of a deal on my 1974 Honda XL350 , Its AHMARA, legal , but my 77 isn't.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

For now I'll probably just stick with the Hooligan class and try to learn what I can to get better. Will probably need to get some practice time in and maybe find someone who can show me a few things too.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

Kwells, do you wear a metal shoe for this?

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kwells

heck no. I wear tennis shoes and jeans. I have a leather coat, helmet and gloves. I don't even put my foot down like a flat tracker. Everyone always comments on that too.

www.wellsmoto.com

stuckinlodi

Watch on any sunday:)  Just before every race.  Alll the pointers youll ever need.

kwells

Well...I see what they are doing. It's just the translation to make it all happen. A day at the track practicing will probably be the best thing at this point.

I did find this though.

http://www.americansupercamp.com/

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

It's always more exciting when several are trading positions throughout the race. Sounds like great fun! Apparently the Aprilia was hanging back just waiting for a mistake by one of the leaders to make his move.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kwells

Yeh I think that was his intention. During the heat race he placed himself 1/2 lap back thinking it would even it up. I guess we were running faster than he expected and wasn't able to close the gap enough.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

Tennis shoes??? ???  You should have better foot wear than that!  Good protective equipment usually gives an air of security and confidence, plus it helps if you go down.  There is a reason racers use it and sanctioning organizations require it.  MX boots should be in order, get used ones as they are expensive new.  Proper equipment needs to fit well or it doesn't provide the protection and control.

I didn't see any prices for the riding camp, but it would be a good idea if you can afford it. 

kwells

Today I bought a pair of Alpinestar Tech3 riding boots, Fly Patrol pants, and a pair of knee guards. The class is $400 and I believe is 2 days long.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

If you are going to try putting your foot down in the corners, Get a shoe maker to put a wedge sole on the left boot. The heel on your alpine stars will trip you up!
I had a pair of Georga Giants  , with  a wedge sole . They were lace up, line mans boots, that were the hot ticket in 1969. They came  almost to the knee. If the bike kicked back , the starter would bend all the hooks closed and it took 20 min with a pair of needle nose pliars , to get them off!  LOL ;D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

I don't have plans to just drag the boot. Once I get to that point I'll get a hot shoe like every other flat tracker but that is miles away for now. I just wanted something with some side loading support in case I end up in the situation.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

Rick's point is that you need a smooth surface on the sole of your boot or it can grab!!! :o  If you can keep your feet up then great, but if you put your foot down your sole should be smooth.  If your foot grabs it will try to stay there as you continue on your way, NOT FUN.

Be very careful as you sneak up on racing, you may already have passed the event horizon to an addictive career.  There's lots of money in it, but mostly out of your own wallet.  I see from the site they run mostly class C flat track stuff.  Look for some of older guys to talk with regarding riding technique.

Rick G

I among others , have kicked them selves in the back of the head , when a boot heel dug in.
Rick G

kwells

The boot I picked doesn't have a large protruding heal but I see what you mean. Any way you slice it these boots will offer better protection over my cross training tennis shoes so I think I'm in a better position. We were just invited to race in Fort Morgan this saturday so I'll get to test them sooner than I thought.

www.wellsmoto.com