8-4-12 I76 Speedway Racing with the XZ

Started by kwells, August 05, 2012, 06:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

This weekend the Vision decided to give me some problems on race day. On the 80 mile ride to the track the stator decided to fry out and drain the battery. I had my wife bring a new battery up just to get to the track. I was able to do the 5 lap Heat race and lapped every rider except one. But the battery didn't have enough juice to make it to the main and died on me as we were lined up ready to head on to the track. So this week was a DNF and I get to order a stator.

In the heat race the XZ was running better than it ever has. I was easily pushing 1k more RPMs coming into the turns and even the Motoguzzi Norge had trouble pulling on me in the straights. Top speed probably was right at about 65 mph coming into turn 1 and 3 so I think I finally got her dialed in. I might even have to start working a quick 3rd gear shift in since I was probably in RPMs at over 11k.

The bikes racing this week were:
-XZ550
-CB360T
-SL350
-Motoguzzi Norge 1100
-HD(not sure model)
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

Cheers for your effort and drive.   :D :)  I'm sure I'm not the only one that looks forward to your reports. 

I wonder if the stator being out of the picture allowed the motor to turn higher RPMs because of absence of drag from generating current.  Seems likely to me, but what do I know?

Check your regulator rectifier.  If it is bad it can take out a new battery and stator.  And as always, check the connections for corrosion, melting, and oxidation.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. What can you tell us of the stator - OEM or replaced? How many miles on it and if replaced, what brand?

Regarding the shifting points...   Maybe a lower shift point and use third gear would make sense. After all, this is primarily your street ride, right? Might save a little wear and tear not revving it to the moon.  :) I know it will safely rev to redline and beyond but max HP is 8700 and torgue at 8k. Just a thought.  ;)  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kwells

Today Blackie is getting pulled into the shop for the full electrical diagnosis. I'll go through the Electrex chart and make sure it's the stator and not the reg/rect. This motor was originally in a bike owned by H20(Tractor) that got wrecked at the 25th anniversary gathering out here in Winter Park, CO. I don't know the mileage on that bike though. I assume it's the OEM but who knows. As far as revs go, I think it was a combination of hitting the apexes much faster and the tank of 100 octane race fuel that was coarsing through Blackie's veins. Blackie is one of 5 bikes in the stable and she's slated to have a full engine rebuild this winter that will include race cams and pistons so I don't care if the wear and tear sets in.

www.wellsmoto.com

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: kwells on August 06, 2012, 03:41:11 PM
Blackie is one of 5 bikes in the stable and she's slated to have a full engine rebuild this winter that will include race cams and pistons so I don't care if the wear and tear sets in.
Do you have a source for race cams and pistons that will suit the XZ?

kwells

No, I bought a set from an ROV member about 4 years ago and never had the place to do a full engine rebuild. Now that I have a bike shop I think I could make that happen a lot easier. If I remember correctly I have a one set of cams for short track and one for long. Will have to pull my parts out and have them spec'd to even know what I have. I don't have rings though so I'll probably have to have a set made. The pistons are supposed to be high compression but am not really even sure of that.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

So I went to do the charging system check and when I went to test the Red output lead of the R/R I noticed the plug had pulled out. Now I'm back to 13.7V and running good as new.

All back together.

A big wheelie was in order on the way out to test ride.

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

Here's a few pics of the I76 crew that raced last week. It was fan appreciation day so they all got to come onto the track between heat and main event.

www.wellsmoto.com

fret not

Nice looking XZ.  Congratulations for "fixing" the electrical problem! ;)

What is that front tire you are running?  Looks good for both road and some dirt.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

That has to be the fastest charging system repair I've read about here on the ROV forum!  :P Thanks for sharing more pics too. Which one is you? I don't recognize your tennis shoes.....  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kwells

I'm the one with the white/black leather jacket. I bought some Icon boots to replace the tennis shoes though. The tires are Shinko 705 Trail Masters.

www.wellsmoto.com

The Prophet of Doom

Riding at high speed on that surface would give me the shits.  Good on you.