News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

how to change oil

Started by dan van weert, August 31, 2003, 02:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

are you running it on prime position on the petcock?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Mine used to have a hot start problem too.  Not as bad as yours sounds but it still takes three or four seconds before she fires up.  Not like the cold starts - barely have time to touch the button and release and it's running.  (with proper choke setting now that it's cooling off!)  It took me several hours to get her to this point but it was worth it.  If you're running it in 'prime' and your float needle & seat aren't clean, it could be flooding when you park it - assuming your petcock is working properly.  Getting the carbs in synch will also help a ton.  I have a way to make a synchronizer for under $10 if you're interested.  I found it on a BMW forum page but have seen it elsewhere.  The URL is on the plans which are currently in my garage.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

RussD

I don't think I've been running her on Prime, but it's possible (especially last night). I usually remember to change it once I get going. If you leave it on prime though, you say it is possible to flood her? Should I be putting it on prime to start her, or just choke her, and leave the petcock on "On"? I know.......these are pretty retarded questions for you guys   ::)
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

h2olawyer

Mine stays on run all the time - even when starting.  I do try and remember to turn it once in a while just to keep things working so if I need reserve or prime, they will work.  The best way to learn is to ask - we've all been there at some point!  It's sillier not to ask and then go on to screw something up.  Those lessons can get expensive!
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I just pull the choke on ( Not on Prime) and start it ,as soon as it runs ok (10 /15 seconds ) I reduce the choke  as soon as possable and turn it completly off,  as  I ride away . This is on a completly cold engine.  I ride  at least once a week  so there's always gas in the carbs. If it sits a while 2/3 weeks or more,  I put it on prime  for 2/3 min. then I put it back on main and  start it as above .
 If there is contamination in the form of rust or dirt it will cause the float needle not to seat properly  AND IF the petcock is set for PRIME then you will end up flooded , or worse, with gas in the crankcase. NEVER, BUT NEVER LEAVE THE PETCOCK IN PRIME, the very second your done with the prime function , put it back to main or reserve , so you won't forget !!
If you don't have a fuel filter on it, get one on it , its cheap insurance.  Also, try adding some Sea Foam or Berrymans to the tank  (2 ounces per tankful) , it will move  any water on through and remove some deposits  and gum from the carbs. It also is cheap insurance . I add 2 ounces of Sea Foam  to every other tankful!.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

Yes, definitely do NOT leave it in prime once you get it started. They will make you hate it if you do. I don't have to put mine up for storage like the folks up north but if you leave the bike in PRIME, the fuel will evaporate from the carbs and keep refilling and evaporating until the carbs are really gunked up. Prime is for use only if it hasn't been started for some time, or if there is a vacuum leak in the petcock 'on'.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

The prime position is also very handy, if you go on reserve at a long signal light  and the engine quits , Putting it on reserve  does nothing if the engine is off.  Ask me how I know , just ask me!
Rick G

RussD

Sounds like you've experienced this first hand Rick!!   ;)
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX