News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Charging issues.

Started by 67GTO, August 17, 2012, 07:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GTO

My nephew has one of these bikes and it's not charging the battery. The dealer wants $1000.00 to repair it, they claim
stator failure is a common problem on this model and it's a big job to replace it. I sent him the 4 page trouble shooting guide
to look at.

Does anyone have any tips etc on this?

Thanks, Dan

( I know, I know it's not a Vision, but he really is down in the dumps about this,and I thought I could tap some of the wealth of knowledge
you people have. :))
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rick G

Asking at my local stealer , River Rat Motor sports, Kawasuzuki dealer, they do not have any more stator problems, on Kwaker Vulcans than any other bike. $1000 is a rip off!!!  avoid this crook! River rat quotes uuder 450.00 to replace it , parts and labour!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

The trouble shooting guide is a good idea.  Is he mechanically inclined?  Just follow the guide and check one thing at a time and eliminate the possibilities until you find the problem, then fix it. 

Dealing with issues like this really help to gain an understanding of the whole system, which can be invaluable in a tight spot. 

The charging system must have all elements working: stator putting out current, regulator/rectifier working, and the battery in good condition and charged.  CHECK ALL WIRE CONNECTIONS INVOLVED.  I hope it goes well.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Does he have a manual for it? I'm not sure which years are the difficult ones but some are a bit more involved than the Vision. There may be some exhaust removal and breaking coolant lines requiring draining/refilling. I've even read some accounts on having to lift or move the engine a bit?? Seems unbelievable for a stator swap but maybe worth some interweb searching to get year specific advice. Good luck with it.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

67GTO

I think I will end up giving him a hand with at least troubleshooting it. He does have a manual but he said
it was confusing. Not sure what his mechanical abilities are, he's not to good with electrical issues.

Rikugun: I think it is one of the bikes that you need to drop the engine.

The Prophet of Doom

If you have to remove the engine, then $1000 is probably about the right price. It would have to be a 2 day job

Video here on doing the stator without removing the engine if he doesn't mind butchering his bike to save some labour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-JEBCnhDI

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

67GTO

Yes, I saw that video, I think alot of steps weren't shown. :)
I think a person would need a lot of courage to do that mod.

kwells

The motor has to come out for that stator. I would charge probably 1000 with the cost of the parts and labor. Otherwise there is a way to do it with the motor in but requires buying a kit and doing some grinding on the case.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

67GTO

kwells: Do you know where a person could get a kit?

Rikugun

here's a step by step on an older model from VN750 dot com. Not sure how silmilar it is but he shifted the engine in the frame rather than removing it.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369

67GTO

Thanks Rikugun, I will send him the link.

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com