News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Hobbies ?

Started by Jimustanguitar, September 12, 2012, 10:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

There've been a few comments lately about playing guitar which got me thinking... It might make the off topic section a bit more interesting if we knew who had hobbies in common with each other. Anybody willing to share what they do besides ride (scratch that, work on) their Vision?

I'm a professional AV geek. Basically I install projectors in Notre Dame's classrooms and program the Crestron touchscreens that control them.

I've played guitar for about 15 years, taught lessons for 4 or 5, and probably have 6 identifiable guitars (ones that aren't being built still).

I'm into shooting now and then. Just discovered a nice new indoor range that's close enough and is open late enough for me to become a regular again.

I've got a close friend that has a late model short track car, and we go racing over the summer. He drives the hell out of it, and I get all week to put the hell back in it.

I also build furniture from time to time. I'm no carpenter though, I use a lot of veneered plywood and pocket holes. Built a nice bar a year or two ago, that's my favorite piece so far. Planning some speakers next.

That's it for me. The list looks impressive, feels pretty boring though :)

Jim

Hartless

Hi, my name is Adam and I am a visionaholic. Jk.
I am still learnin how to play guitar and I love to sing, karaoke whenever I can.( not a big drinker though). I also love pretty much anything to do with outdoors, hunting, fishing, shooting, wheeling, dirtbikes, boats.... Pretty much anything that has to do with being outside away from the city. I also fly rc planes but have been out of it for a while ($$$). I also enjoy cooking and BBQ ( my woman doesn't cook much!)I like to workout too( that's a new thing)
If you can't tell I also like pretty much anything with an engine or a motor. I like to spend my free time fixing or improving something.... I also enjoy long walks on the beach ;)
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Rick G

I too got into RC planes, but while I can fly reasonably well, when the plane is going away from me , when its coming back and the controls are reversed, I have a tendency to crash!  I sold all of my gear before it was worth nothing.
I have been a rail fan (train nut)  since I was a boy. I modeled in N scale , still have lots of engines and rolling stock , but haven't used it in a long time.
I have a small telescope,60 mm lens. . more suitable for lunar observation, than stellar. Occasionally get it out , when the moon is waxing or waning .
I have had an ATV and explored the mountains, mines and ghost towns around here, used my XL350 Honda for that too.

Piddled around with photography , still prefer my Canon SLR film camera to digital.
Oh ya, ride my motorcycles all I can!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

Quote from: Rick G on September 13, 2012, 02:45:50 PM
I too got into RC planes, but while I can fly reasonably well, when the plane is going away from me , when its coming back and the controls are reversed, I have a tendency to crash!  I sold all of my gear before it was worth nothing.
I have been a rail fan (train nut)  since I was a boy. I modeled in N scale , still have lots of engines and rolling stock , but haven't used it in a long time.
I have a small telescope . more suitable for lunar observation, than stellar. Occasionally get it out , when the moon is waxing or waneing .
I have had an ATV and explored the mountains, mines and ghost towns around here, used my XL350 Honda for that too.

Piddled around with photography , still prefer my Canon SLR film camera to digital.
Oh ya, ride my motorcycles all I can!

I too have had my fair share of crashes. Recently (kinda) the wing on my f4u corsair folded in the air causing it to spiral into the ground an nearly miss a group of kids watching. Rebuilt all except the wing. Destroyed my f-117 stealth jet into a house at about 90mph because I too had the controls reversed haha.

I also have a few trains as well, just h.o. Though. My uncle has a couple old n scale trains in my dads garage that are pretty sweet.old steam trains like the 1187. His old house was a complete track for them. Do you attend the model train show at the Portland expo ever?

Jimustanguitar

Million dollar idea: invent a remote with a switch that reverses the ailerons and rudders at the flip of a switch. Or put a different ir LED on the front and back with a receiver on the remote and make it flip the controls for you based on which LED is getting picked up by the remote. Sounds like a cool Arduino project. I've wanted to get into RC planes, but never broke the ice. I looked at a few cheap ($50 or less) setups at nitroplanes.com, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Any suggestions for a first timer? They do sell a thing called pilot vision. Basically you put a camera on your plane and watch it on a wireless pair of video glasses. That would be cool (and expensive).

BTW Hartless, what is wheeling? You mean cycling or something? Forgive my ignorance.

Rick, I've got a 5 or 6 inch reflector telescope that I need to get out more. My goal is to head out in the boonies and look at the Messier List objects 1 at a time. I'd love to see nebulae and other planets, but you're right about magnification and the moon. It's about the only thing that isn't just a shiny dot :) And it is much more dramatic when it's not full too. I did get a look at Jupiter where you could distinctly see it's moons though. Upon further reading, those moons are the first thing that mankind (Isaac Newton) ever saw orbiting an object other than the sun or the earth. It changed our perspective of the universe forever, and got him locked up by the church.

I fancy myself an engineer and want to get into 3-D printing. Is anybody here a "Maker"?

kiawrench

my name is kia, and i am a recovering employee of Blackwater,USA.and one or two other companies with similar job descriptions.
i was in military, couldnt get enough, but the doctors said otherwise. so i went private. did that , then worked on cars for kia usa , now retired(with bennies) from that.
                      hobbies are :
                      eating , breathing and avoiding anyone in medical profession
                      guns- any kind, any size , if i dont already own it, i will buy it - excluding full auto stuff-
                                why waste rounds hurting dirt?
                       marksmanship drills- military made me good at it, now i strive for perfection
my vision--- one two or more, i will get it running and ride it to the ground.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rikugun

QuoteMillion dollar idea: invent a remote with a switch that reverses the ailerons and rudders at the flip of a switch
I could have sworn my brother's RC car controller had that feature for when you ran the car back towards you. I'd think the plane guys would have the same feature?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Drikk14

Hello my name is Ben I was in the military for 7 years from August 1996 to November 2003. I love to fly but haven't been on a plane or helicopter since getting out. I used to be an addict of world of warcraft and as of the purchase of my vision I have YET to play it for more than a few minutes. I now spend all my spare time in the garage doing odd jobs and cleaning the vision. I have tried a few hobbies but nothing sticks as of yet. would like to get into RC Helicopters one of my friends does it and videos he has posted and pics make me want to dive in.
1983 Vision, Work in Progress

Hartless

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on September 13, 2012, 04:59:03 PM
Million dollar idea: invent a remote with a switch that reverses the ailerons and rudders at the flip of a switch. Or put a different ir LED on the front and back with a receiver on the remote and make it flip the controls for you based on which LED is getting picked up by the remote. Sounds like a cool Arduino project. I've wanted to get into RC planes, but never broke the ice. I looked at a few cheap ($50 or less) setups at nitroplanes.com, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Any suggestions for a first timer? They do sell a thing called pilot vision. Basically you put a camera on your plane and watch it on a wireless pair of video glasses. That would be cool (and expensive).

BTW Hartless, what is wheeling? You mean cycling or something? Forgive my ignorance.

Rick, I've got a 5 or 6 inch reflector telescope that I need to get out more. My goal is to head out in the boonies and look at the Messier List objects 1 at a time. I'd love to see nebulae and other planets, but you're right about magnification and the moon. It's about the only thing that isn't just a shiny dot :) And it is much more dramatic when it's not full too. I did get a look at Jupiter where you could distinctly see it's moons though. Upon further reading, those moons are the first thing that mankind (Isaac Newton) ever saw orbiting an object other than the sun or the earth. It changed our perspective of the universe forever, and got him locked up by the church.

I fancy myself an engineer and want to get into 3-D printing. Is anybody here a "Maker"?

Depending on what rx/tx you use (radio, I use spectrum dx7 operatin on 2.4ghz ) you can reverse the servos.  But it truly is easier to just remember that your flying reversed, if your flipping switches all the time that means your paying
Less attention, especially during aerobatics... The only reason I wrecked my f-117 was because its hard to tell whether it's upside down or not once its far away because it is the flying wing design with no tail...
As for a good beginner set up, I would suggest just going to your local hobby store. Might be a little more
Expensive but the customer service will be better as the parts are more accessible . If you want to forge online route check out Bananahobby.com I like their stuff..

When I refer to wheeling I am talking about going off road in my 4x4 vehicle, which happens to be an 89 ford bronco (full size) 302ci with a 6" suspension lift on 36.5" buckshot Mudders and a Dana 70 rear end with 4.56:1 gears waiting to be put on. :)

I'll try and remember to put some pictures up of all my stuff

Drikk14

OH Hartless I like the sound of your wheeling truck  ;D  Would it be easier to just start with a remote heli or should I start on planes? Either one would be decent for me just I used to work on helicopters in the military Anywho you guys got me all excited about Remote Aircraft again

Hartless

Quote from: Drikk14 on September 14, 2012, 01:44:35 PM
OH Hartless I like the sound of your wheeling truck  ;D  Would it be easier to just start with a remote heli or should I start on planes? Either one would be decent for me just I used to work on helicopters in the military Anywho you guys got me all excited about Remote Aircraft again

Planes and heli's are two different ball games. Either way just dot spend too much because you will crash it!
My bronco still needs a lot of work but
It's getting there. Thanks

Drikk14

lol Seems to be the same advice all RC Pilots give. I thought they'd be similar so I'll just go by which I can afford. Ya I love lifted trucks and trail/mud rides =)

Rick G

Hartless , I attended many shows. I was into Ntrak and and set up at shows from Cajon Rails in  Ontario Ca. in 86 to The Tacoma Mall show ,1989. Twin-N-rails in  St Paul Mn, in1998. I was Nscale Vice president of the Roseville Round house  model Railroad club  (Roseville CA) for 5 years running. As well as being on the Board of directors for Rail Fair  in Roseville. I don't have a basement here, so lack of space prohibits doing anything now.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

Quote from: Rick G on September 15, 2012, 12:57:28 AM
Hartless , I attended many shows. I was into Ntrak and and set up at shows from Cajon rails in  Ontario Ca. in 86 to The Tacoma Nall show ,1989. Twin-N-rails in  St Paul Mn, in1998. I was Nscale Vice president of the Roseville Round house  model Railroad club  (Roseville CA) for 5 years running. As well as being on the Board of directors for Rail fair  in Roseville. I don't have a basement here, so lack of space prohibits doing anything now.
Dang, sounds like you have been doing this stuff longer than I have been alive! I should bust out my old h.o trains......

vadasz1

"Rick G" being so long in the tooth should specify that the "G" stands for GERIATRIC!!!

jk

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

:D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D At one time I was 3rd oldest on the forum , maybe I'm the oldest now ?
Rick G

fret not

You young whipper snappers should hope to last as long. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Hartless

here is a couple pictures of my bronco...nothing special in one of them im pretty bad a** fyi (i wasnt serious)

i have some hunting pictures too, but they have dead animals in them,is that going to offend anyone and/or is anyone interested in seeing them?

kiawrench

I did a small amount of research today, found out truth about that "g" part in Rick's screen name. It stands for  "Gold Standard".

fittingly enough, all parts i ever got from him, good as gold and just as solid
                          all advice he has given me over the years- good as gold ,and just as valuable
                           he isnt really old, well seasoned, maybe a bit tarnished, nothing a light buffing cant fix.

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

When I started on the original forum in 1998  0r 99, Lucky was here by a few months, and there was a fellow from Tasmania , named Rick Laffer. To avoid confusion, I added my last initial . Rick Laffer had the the misfortune to have a brush fire burn his shed down and destroy his XZ550 . He  used to stop by here , now  and again, but its been awhile  since he was here.

If you know of a young lady who would like to "buff me " I would be grateful .
Rick G