News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Event Location at Barbers

Started by artbone, October 07, 2012, 12:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

I'm going to have a motorhome parked right by the fence at the south end of the track. When you come down the entrance road and see the museum, turn left. Go through the ticket gate, down a hill and up the next hill. There you'll see motorhome parking on the right. I'll be in the #5 spot counting from the left as you're facing the track. I'll have my beat up old black Vision parked there and, hopefully, I'll have this banner across the back of the motorhome.

If you see a lot of Nortons just to the right of my motorhome you're in the right place. If I'm not there ask some of the Norton guys were I am.

My cell phone # is 404 951-6575 if you can't find me.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

VisionMeister

I'm loaded and ready for the trip to Birmingham.
I had to take the fairing off and drop the triple clamps to get it in the van.
I had just enough room to pack the extra lubricants required for a vintage meet such as this.
See you there

QBS

Lubricants indeed.  Jack Daniel can really loosen things up.  Let me show you how.  Cheers.

artbone

Leave the bike and pack more lubricants.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

Just don't get so "lubed" that you slide out of your chair! ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

VisionMeister

I haven't burned off any lubricants yet. I'm starting on my last day this morning of a three day drive.
Sorry I had to blast through Kingman on the cruise control, Rick.

attached some photos of the expansive southwest. Once you leave New Mexico there is nothing left to shoot pictures of. It's kind of tricky to shoot a picture while on cruise control.

supervision

If you weren't running NINE O, it would be easy to take pictures.  Keep the reporting coming, nice to hear, your almost there. 
" border="0

Rick G

One of these days someone will stop by !  Have a great trip!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

VisionMeister

I arrived in Birmingham late Wednesday night.
I found the local backroads to get out to the Barber facility, nice winding backroads through the Alabama hills. Only 10 miles though... I know there is more out there if I have the time to find them.
It was nice to get in on Thursday and see the museum without the full crowds expected.
Attached are a couple of photos.

supervision

Nice picture, glad it's going as planned.
" border="0

VisionMeister

I made it home yesterday... a total of approx 4500 miles driving. It was a long haul but, in retrospect, I had a great time and that made the grind worthwhile.
Barber's is a great facility and the vintage event was amazing.
team vision is Artbone and Visionmeister with the baner
Vintage bikes is Paul Smart, Gene Romero, Dave Aldana and Alan Cathcart on Triupmh triples and a new Bonneville prepped as a flat tracker
The other two are misc. sculptures around the park to keep it interesting
I had the only Vision at the event (that I know of)  and people kept asking what it was and showed great interest in it.

Rikugun

Thanks for sharing the pictures VisionMeister.   :) I'm glad you and Artbone where there to represent the Vision. Sounds like you had a memorable time but I'll bet it was nice to get home after a journey like that!  ;)
I'll bet the racing was amazing too.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

VisionMeister

I almost forgot that the racing was good, but of a vintage nature, meaning that there were generally two or three fast bikes racing for the lead and a lot of hobbyists running behind them.
As with all vintage meets is is great to see, hear and smell the vintage equipment being used as it was intended.
Jay Springsteen put the kabosh on some Buell twins with a cafed xr1200.
A bevel drive Ducati caught up and passed an ELR inspired Kz1000 in a super bike class.
There were a ton of various iterations of modern Bonnevilles, some fast two strokes...how about a fast Honda ascot.
The Honda 160 class was impressive. It's suprising what these little bikes can do.
Cook Nielsen rode some parade laps on "Old Blue"

There was plenty to do and see

artbone

I don't know about Visionmeister or Qbs but I had a large time. The motorhome idea was a winner and one I intend to continue next year. As V and Q can testify, I had a great spot to watch from and only had to stagger a few feet to be home. No driving after dark and DWIs.

This is the bike V was referring to in his post but I don't think it is a 1200. If I'm not mistaken it's a XR 750, either a replica or original race bike from the 70s.

Anyway, I wish more Visionaries had shown up but I certainly understand why some couldn't attend. There's always next year. I'll be there.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

The picture doesn't do Vm's bike justice.  It is a very nice V.

artbone

Class C Hand Shifter.

Kenny Cummin's very fast Matchless G 50. He also has a VF Norton.

The fireworks show was okay but we have fireworks about twice a week in SMA so I'm pretty blase'.

Barbers has become the best meet in the US, IMHO. It's sure better than Mid-Ohio. Mid-Ohio in July can, and usually is, brutally hot. Barbers was cool (er), has the museum, has the trams to haul you around, plus it's a beautiful place to look at.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Quote from: QBS on October 19, 2012, 01:02:10 PM
The picture doesn't do Vm's bike justice.  It is a very nice V.

Ahh, what's wrong with the picture? It is a very nice Vision and I think it looks very nice in the picture. Actually, I was trying to show the banner more than the bike, but still, I think it looks very nice.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

VisionMeister

You are right about the XR being a 750... I googled it to see what it is and it is a much improved replica. Replica frame with modern "replica" forks, rectangular section swingarm and well built motor. The gas tank is a couple gallons smaller than the original because vintage races are way shorter than the 100+ mile races they ran in the 70's.
There was an original in the museum and it appeared more bulbous than this bike.
It was awsome to see Springer ride it the way it was meant to be ridden.

Did you have a pit pass to get close to these or just talk your way in??

artbone

You didn't have to have a pit pass. Just ride the tram to the stop at the pits and they gave you an arm band. You had to have another armband to get a vehicle in.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650