News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

raising handlebars

Started by calipanda, October 04, 2012, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calipanda

Hey guys,

is there a way to raise the handlebars? I am 6'1" and I am having trouble with mirrors! The mirrors on the fairing work fine, but I have removed the fairing to restore it and bought some mirrors that attach to the handlebars in the meantime. Everytime I look in the mirrors all I see is myself!

Tiger

You could switch out the '83 handle bar risers for '82 risers, which are 3 1/2" or 4 1/2" taller.

However, you will also have to switch out throttle & choke cables as well as your brake lines :o

That being said, several people on here would swap you their '82 set up for your '83 set up...then everyone is happy ;D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8) .......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

calipanda

Thanks for the info Tiger. One more question for ya: will the '82 handlebars be compatible with the '83 fairing? I do plan on mounting the fairing back on my bike.

Tiger

Some say yes and others no!!

What will happen is that the brake master cylinder will touch the windshield on full lock...however, how often do you use full lock when riding??

All I know is that I rode mine, with '82 risers and a full fairing for a year or two, without any major problems.

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Lucky

Bar ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Jimustanguitar

I bought a set of shorter '83 risers from Tiger. Almost put them on tonight out of desperation while routing my throttle cable :) Which brings up a good point, you'll need longer cables and hoses...

If you can wait until winter, you're welcome to my '82 risers for the cost of shipping. There's no shortage of them though, so don't wait on me if you want them now.

Good luck!

calipanda

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on October 05, 2012, 01:04:06 AM
I bought a set of shorter '83 risers from Tiger. Almost put them on tonight out of desperation while routing my throttle cable :) Which brings up a good point, you'll need longer cables and hoses...

If you can wait until winter, you're welcome to my '82 risers for the cost of shipping. There's no shortage of them though, so don't wait on me if you want them now.

Good luck!

Cool thanks for the offer! I am not in a hurry to change anything, I will probably replace handlebars and mount fairing during the rainy season when I can't really ride. Do you have an extra set of cables or will I have to get some?

Jimustanguitar

The only part I bought was a set of risers, so that's all that I'm going to have left over when I do the swap.

calipanda

alright just let me know when you can send them over, I can cover the shipping costs. Tiger, can you give me a quote for the necessary cables that I will also require?

Rick G

I rode with '82 risers and the full fairing m for quite a while , No problem . Mine cleared the wind shield by a 1/8 of an inch at  full lock.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: calipanda on October 05, 2012, 01:41:22 PM
Tiger, can you give me a quote for the necessary cables that I will also require?

Sure...I'll get back to you as quick as I can check stock up in the loft, after work ;)

shep1

I switched back to 82 risers on two bikes so far..will do the 3rd(yellow bike)as well..Under normal riding conditions I have never had an issue..not even close to touching..They may just touch if at full lock..That has seldom been an issue for me..Getting older so the upright position has been more comfortable for me on longer rides..

Tiger