News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What Lies Below

Started by cvincer, October 27, 2012, 04:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

Have got a very very small oil leak from the location indicated in the photo.   B4  I try to remove the Allen nut, can someone

advise why it is there/what it does/ what is below it?   Thanks

Rikugun

It may be a oil galley plug for the passage that feeds one cam from the other. I don't see in the parts fiche where they even have it listed. It's as if it comes in the head from the factory and there's no need to ever remove it? Which I guess also means there is no gasket or o-ring available by part number. Maybe you could improvise or perhaps it just uses thread sealer. Good luck.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

The water jacket lies beneath the Allen screw, any oil there probably ran down from a leaking Valve Cover Gasket.    BDC

Rikugun

Bobby, Just out of curiosity, do you know it's sealed - gasket , o-ring, etc. I never gave that plug any thought but now I'm curious...  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

I have a head lying on the bench and I can see the Allen plug through the water ways, wasn't able to break the Allen loose so I can't say as to any possible seal.     BDC

QBS

Best leave it alone and bathe it as nessessary.  Chalk it off as old age.