cold weather and hand protectors

Started by admin, December 07, 2012, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motoracer8

I have a BMW with heated grips and agree the guards are the most effective, but the heated grips do keep you're fingers warm.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

artbone

Quote from: Night Vision on December 22, 2012, 12:00:34 PM
milk jugs baby!

I know some guys down here that are gonna love that picture. You made my day!
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

pullshocks

I got a pair of these:  http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/bilt_demon_waterproof_motorcycle_gloves/web1008621

Still breaking in, and not fully tested yet, but so far so good for commuting in the low 40's.   Not sure I would pay $80 for them, but OK at the sale price.

If you order them, go up a size.  I usually get a large, and needed XL for these.

Update
2 hour ride in the 30's is asking too much from these gloves.  Brrrr

AdvRich

:laugh: Love the DR farkles... I guess he has a discount at the home improvement place, but not at a motorpickle shop. Necessity (and price point) are the mothers of invention.

Ron,
Most "adventure" type bikes like in the beem pic come with hand guards std or as an option. They originally were roost and branch protection for dirt riders way back in the day. The tough part for putting them on the Vee bars is no threaded on bar end weights which is how the plastic ones, like on the Beem, Vstrom, etc mount. One can of course drill and tap the stock Vbars to provide an end mount point. The grips will need a little modding and a spacer as well for the throttle side to eliminate interference.

For a cheap and stowable solution, I bought these a couple of years back and they work great. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/18/173/21047/ITEM/Kwik-Tek-ScootR-Logic-Hand-Mitts.aspx They do have the name Scooter Logic in white on the top side and for the '83 with no handlebar mirrors they can be put on upside down for an all black look. I like that I can use them for cold Spring and Fall mornings and easily remove and stow them as the day warms up... repeat in reverse on the cool down. They're not water proof but work fine for light stuff and they keep off the worst of the wind.

Rich