Disappearing Frame Grommets - so strange a topic...

Started by RedBaron, December 30, 2012, 04:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedBaron

I'm planning ahead to when the frame is blasted prior to painting...

So, what do you guys do to get new grommets back onto those pressed in mounting posts? Do you force them on or do you cut the mounting posts off their little platforms and then drill to mount bolts and retaining nuts. (or is this just nuts?)

Regards,
Art
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

RedBaron

Wait wait, I know. You cut new ones laterally on one side to get them on the old posts then superglue.

I'm floundering here I think...

Re-Vision

Warm the new grommets up before installing, they should flex enough to go on.     BDC

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

motoracer8

All of the grommets are still available from Yamaha.  Alittle dab of silicone grease like used on swimming pool equipment orings works well.  Available at the local hardwear store.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

RedBaron

QBS

My local Lowes store has a specialty fastener display that has grommets virtualy identical to those on my bike.

A modest tip:  greasing the grommet holes and the attachment posts of our side cover pieces make for much less stress on the plastic during attachement and removal.

PwrManDan

Quote from: QBS on December 30, 2012, 08:24:25 PM
My local Lowes store has a specialty fastener display that has grommets virtualy identical to those on my bike.

Can you get a SKU please?

QBS

Went to Lowes today.  The rubber grommet drawer contains many sizes of rubber gromets.  Since I didn't bring a bike grommet for comparison purposes I wasn't able to gather dependable SKU data.

I suggest that one brings their V grommet with them when they visit Lowes.  Find the metal drawer display in the "Hardware" area that is labled "Specialty Fasteners".  Then locate the metal drawer labled "Rubber Grommets" and select the grommet that most closly matches their V item.

PwrManDan

Quote from: QBS on December 31, 2012, 07:28:25 PM
Went to Lowes today.  The rubber grommet drawer contains many sizes of rubber gromets.  Since I didn't bring a bike grommet for comparison purposes I wasn't able to gather dependable SKU data.

I suggest that one brings their V grommet with them when they visit Lowes.  Find the metal drawer display in the "Hardware" area that is labled "Specialty Fasteners".  Then locate the metal drawer labled "Rubber Grommets" and select the grommet that most closly matches their V item.

Thank you, I'll check it out this week.