News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What do you do when she's down?

Started by Fuzzlewump, January 15, 2013, 03:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzlewump

So, no work being done on the Vision lately because I've had to wait for the wallet to swell a little, and now I'm waiting on parts to arrive.

She doesn't run yet. I usually deal with the fact that I can't ride by happily wrenching away on all the things that need fixing, but when I'm waiting on parts before I can even do some work, well...I get fidgety!  :D

I read through the forum. I look over maps and photos of state parks, imagine what it's going to be like to roll through back roads with the sun shining and the birds singing and my V roaring away. I take a rag and clean off spots I missed the first 40 times. Sometimes I just go out there and stare at her with drool hanging off my lip. It's driving me nuts.

What do you do when you have time on your hands but you can't ride or work on her?
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Jimustanguitar

I had a junk car hauled off and bought moto parts with the spoils, so I've got a set of carbs to rebuild and a brake system to rebuild that doesn't require taking the assembled bike out of commission. I also have a basket case Seca to rebuild someday, so there's no shortage of projects. I guess I'll need to order parts though, so maybe that doesn't count...

Aside from garage things, I've been busy remodeling the house. I have a set of speakers to build sometime this winter. I also have a wine kit that I need to get fermenting soon... I've also been getting very interested in 3D printing, so I research that when I can (can't afford a printer at the moment).

But, mainly drooling waiting on the spring weather when I can get back on two wheels again :) There's something special about motorcycling that just makes it magnetic. Once you get hooked, it's hard to not think about it constantly.

Night Vision

have you gone through all the electrical connections and cleaned them up to reduce resistance and strain on the charging system?

that's a time consuming bonding experience  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Fuzzlewump

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on January 15, 2013, 04:34:50 PM
There's something special about motorcycling that just makes it magnetic. Once you get hooked, it's hard to not think about it constantly.

Man I know what you mean there! My brother has been into bikes for a while but I never saw the appeal until my dad let me borrow his for a summer. Once I experienced the difference between riding four-wheelers through the woods and taking a two-wheeler on streets, I was surprised at how addictive it became in such a short amount of time. It's the closest thing I've ever experienced to skydiving, in terms of an intense mix of adrenaline and relaxation. There's nothing else like it.

Quote from: Night Vision on January 15, 2013, 09:59:32 PM
have you gone through all the electrical connections and cleaned them up to reduce resistance and strain on the charging system?

that's a time consuming bonding experience  ;)

Lol!  I've seen others on the forum refer to the electrical work as "bonding"...now that I've done it, it always cracks me up to read that. It's deceptively tedious, that's for sure.

Last time I was playing the waiting game I went through electricals as completely as I could. Cleaned and greased everything, repaired a couple nicks and wrapped 'em up, checked all my relays. I decided to remove the safety starting cutoff circuit and sidestand switch, rev limiter, TCI to sidestand relay, etc. This reminds me...

I've got a new battery, fully charged. When I check my voltage at various places on the bike I'm getting less than the 12.5 volts that is found at battery. Some places read differently than others, but on average it's about 1.5 volts less than battery. This is when checking the bike with engine off. Is this normal? It appears that my flasher cancelling unit is bad- could this be affecting everything else that much?
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Rikugun

Great topic discussion Fuzzle  :) I too get antsy when I can't ride and here in the northeast that is most of the winter. I have a circle of riding brothers (figurative and literal) and we meet once a week on Thursday evening to hang out and talk bikes. Usually the ones with the heated garage hosts!

I also have to admit to watching (too much) YouTube. I've subscribed to the "drive" channel and they have several offerrings including a series called "RideApart". One of the blokes in particular (Jamie Robinson) is a great host and his enthusiasm for all things motorbike is infectious. When you mentioned looking at maps of state parks it reminded me of this video involving the Giant Sequoia National Forest:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eSDYRTk_w&list=PL061D914B66D2A0AF&index=12

Who knew a Bonneville makes such a great AT bike. Brilliant! Suffer through some annoying mic wind noise in the opening interviews - it's gets better.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

George R. Young

Quote from: Fuzzlewump on January 15, 2013, 10:38:38 PM
. . . This reminds me...

I've got a new battery, fully charged. When I check my voltage at various places on the bike I'm getting less than the 12.5 volts that is found at battery. Some places read differently than others, but on average it's about 1.5 volts less than battery. This is when checking the bike with engine off. Is this normal? . . .
With the engine off there should be no current flow anywhere and hence no voltage drop. Something is draining your battery.

BTW, I try to have enough motorcycle projects planned to get me thru the winter. This year it's drilling extra holes in the emulator washers and changing the resistance (lower, hotter) in the grip heaters.

Rikugun

QuoteI've got a new battery, fully charged. When I check my voltage at various places on the bike I'm getting less than the 12.5 volts that is found at battery. Some places read differently than others, but on average it's about 1.5 volts less than battery. This is when checking the bike with engine off. Is this normal? It appears that my flasher cancelling unit is bad- could this be affecting everything else that much?
Yes, this is normal and I'm guessing you mean motor not running but the key is on. Depending on where you check it you are reading through the key switch, wiring and connectors and maybe a couple of fuses, more wiring etc. There will be a voltage drop as a result and 1.5 volt seems within a normal range.  I've noticed the same thing and replacing the fuse box and cleaning connections I saw that drop reduced slightly.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Fuzzlewump

Yes, I'm checking it with engine not running, main switch turned on. The wires leading into and out of the fuse box read various voltages between 10.6 and 12.5. I can't remember which one was 10.6, I'll have to look at my notes. I've read that wires themselves have a certain amount of resistance to them, but nearly two volts seemed excessive so I thought I'd ask. I'm going to replace the flasher cancelling unit eventually and see if it changes my readings at all.

I watched a couple of episodes of RideApart- nice show! Think I'll be checking out some more of it. Youtube gets ridiculously addictive sometimes. I saw an episode of the English television show Top Gear once that featured the guys going through Southeast Asia on small bikes. It was hilarious, if you haven't seen that show it's worth a look.

The Prophet of Doom

Top gear and Speed are both great.  He writes funny books also
Here's a clip of him driving my car down a ski-slope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvSymMUL4A

George R. Young

Quote from: Fuzzlewump on January 17, 2013, 01:33:30 PM
Yes, I'm checking it with engine not running, main switch turned on. . . .
Oops, please ignore what I said above.

Rikugun

Quote...watched a couple of episodes of RideApart- nice show! ... Youtube gets ridiculously addictive.....
Yes it is a nice show and here's another to feed your addiction!

Motor Trend has a show called "On Two Wheels"  In the episode "The Great Ural Adventure" two buddies load up their BMW'esque Russian side-car Ural with tools and parts to rescue a Craigslist Honda MB5 parts bike. They intend on getting it running and ride it the 300 miles back home.  To anyone unfamiliar, the MB5 is a 30 year old 50cc 2 stroke road bike.  :o This is a proper adventure  :laugh:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtFUqbxctEI

In a later episode they freshen up the motor and go to Willow Springs kart track to enter it in a 24 hour endurance race as part of an M1GP "mini racing" event.