What did you do to your vision today?

Started by sunburnedaz, January 24, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jirik

Thank you for your compliment. I really love this great bike. It was love at first sight. QBS, look please to your PM.

pinholenz

Started the old girl up after a couple of weeks today. Not too happy being woken up and she took a long time to catch. I had noticed that the idle had been particularly lumpy and that the enrichener hadn't been very effective. After poking around a bit while she warmed up, I discovered a hole in the vacuum cap where the old YICS intake had been. Problem solved. Happy biker.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

sunburnedaz

Yesterday I tore into the cooling system again. LOL no not to track down the over heating issue but to fix a o-ring on the coolant tube that started to leak. She is back together and running again.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Rikugun

Two things - first was replaced the rider footpegs with these cheapo aftermarket Kawasaki reproduction pieces. I got the idea from sunburnedaz so thanks!  ;) They have a more modern look to them and the old rubbers were coming apart on a second replacement set of OEM styled ones.

The other thing I did was back flushed the cooling system after running it with a white vinegar/CLR/distilled water concoction. I let it sit overnight, drained it then back flushed the system. When I went to remove the thermostat prior to flushing I found something odd - there was no thermostat installed.  :o Hmmm, no wonder I was having trouble developing engine temp in the cooler weather.....
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Rik, was it you that was exhibiting concern about your bike having a tendency to run hot?

Rikugun

Yup, although since I've joined this forum I've learned I'm not alone in that regard.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Assuming that you install a thermostat, it will be interesting to see what changes occur in the operating temperature.

Rikugun

That has been my thought exactly.  ;) This will only be my third full season on this bike. The 2011 season it died in September then sat til the spring. So last spring (amongst other things) I changed the coolant but didn't disturb the thermostat. That fall/winter season saw more rides in cooler weather. I started to suspect the thermostat was stuck open when it took forever to get any engine heat but this didn't seem to jive with a tendency to run hot in the summer. The parts came in yesterday and I'll start work this weekend but due to other projects it may not get out for long rides for a few more weeks. It should be good and hot by then so the true nature of things shall be revealed.

QBS

Rik, this may seem counter-intuative.  Possibly the reason that your bike has been running warm/hot is that, because it had no thermostat to slow the flow of coolent through the radiator, the coolent couldn't hang around in the radiator long enough long to to transfer its' BTUs to the atmosphere and therefore it (the coolent) stayed hot.

Rikugun

That's the notion I'm clinging to at the moment.  :-\ That, and with no thermostat in place there is no distinction between a path through the radiator or the by-pass hose other than path of least resistance. The problem is, the argument that gives me hope for one season is contrary to what I've observed in the other season. :(  That's not to say I can't also imagine a scenario that helps both seasons and that's the one I'm clinging to at the moment. Like I said, I'll have to wait and see.

ceme24

Mainly just looked at it.  A local gent is replacing burned valves in the front cylinder for me and I hope to work with him as he cleans and adjusts the carbs.

These are the replacement valves.
CE
1982 Vision

QBS

Looks like you've got a very nice and Clean bike there.  The existance of the braided, stainless steel brake line is an excellent sign.  The shop also appears to be quite up to the task.  It will be interesting to see if your friend does the rear cylinder with the engine in the frame.  Hope it continues to go well with you.

Rikugun

Quote from: QBS on July 11, 2013, 11:47:58 PM
It will be interesting to see if your friend does the rear cylinder with the engine in the frame. 
No need (yet) - back in may ceme24 posted the compression was low on the front only.

Glad to see you haven't given up on your Vision and good luck with the work.  :)

Now it's time for a trivia quiz: In the middle photo if you look through the frame where the front cylinder should be there is a bike in the background. What is it? Hint - it's Italian and has it's roots in early aviation.  :D

ceme24

VERY good eye there rikigun!!

I won't play in the trivia since I was fortunate enough to be standing next to that beautiful piece of history a few days ago.

I know this is a vision forum, but next time I go to work on my bike I will take some pictures of that Italian gem and if its ok post them here.

She runs and is in phenomenal shape
CE
1982 Vision

jefferson

That's a rare bird. Must be some kind of shop to have one of those sitting around. I wish their bikes were doing better in World supersport.

QBS

Good eye indeed!  '70s MV Agusta, probably 750cc.  The finned ring and pinion housing for the shaft drive is a big clue.  Rode one once.  Thinking I was doing 80 mph while the speedo indicated 105 mph got my attention.

treedragon

Today I drilled and mounted two gas take off points in the exhaust ready for the gas analyser when tuning the Weber, cylinder by cylinder........ both as inconspicuous as possible. One of them I may probably use as a vacuum take off point for sucking air out of the crankcase, but that project is still a little further down the line as I am still waiting on a non return valve.

I also ran spanners over all available bolts to good effect and eyeballed up the possibilities for a cable operated rear brake so I can move the lever to a more suitable position to suit the rear sets.

The bike is still sitting on the dyno............. waiting  ;D ;D ;D  8)

There is always a way

Rikugun

That must have been difficult drilling into that new custom exhaust!  :'( Ah well, it's for the greater good! This valve you are waiting for I'm guessing is a check valve of sorts? Is it designed specifically for tolerance to exhaust gas or just happens to be from another application?

treedragon

Rikugun

it is an off the shelf, (when available), valve that is used by the hot rodders specifically for evacuating crankcases. The whole setup is going to cost me maybe NZ$120. That's very cheap horsepower however much or or not, however I note it's working very well on one of our 999S race bikes

The gas take off points I have put on the downhill side of the pipes so as to not destroy any photo op's for any casual pavement creeper that happens to be idling by wondering what on earth they are looking at............. ;D ;D ;D

There is always a way

shep1

Replaced 30 year old yics lines with fuel injector lines.Replaced fuel line and added inline filter all on black bike.Idles fine and power is good.Did a compression test on red and yellow bike and found them reading around just under 100.Both idle with plenty of power.I had read in the archives that throttle should be held open during compression test.If so what is the change in readings?My tests are with no throttle.Enjoy reading on site for hours and appreciate learning from the experience of others. Thanks

c/p from jasonm

Re: Low compression in front cylinder
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »
the slow cranking it likely oil soaked or worn brushes. Low compression in the front is MOST likely tight valves. This does happen. And proper adjustment is required. Using the proper tool makes it easier. Are you doing the compression test w/throttle open AS YOU SHOULD? to allow all the possible air in the cylinder...this is often forgotten. The smallest possibility is a bad head gasket.