News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What did you do to your vision today?

Started by sunburnedaz, January 24, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

Today..............
I set up the front fairing ready for a windscreen from a Yamaha R1. Just a little fibreglassing to do  ::)
and it's complete with the tuning fork logo  8)

There is always a way

Fuzzlewump

Got a lot done today, and everything went pretty smoothly. A really great day, man!

-I replaced the OEM stator connector with a Delphi Weatherpack one. Eventually I'll replace stator and upgrade the R/R, but both of those checked out nicely today on a cold test with the multimeter. For now time only permits a better connector, but this one's pretty sweet.

-Changed out all the bulbs in the instrument box, as well as the idiot lights. Did some thorough cleaning around in the headlight shell and all around the triple clamps. This bike is covered in dirt and grease.

-Lubricated the speedo drive cable and its connector in the instrument box with some lithium grease. Gonna do the throttle and clutch cables tomorrow.

-Removed the clutch switch from the wiring circuit, as I've already removed the rest of the starter safety cut-off circuit. Less clutter around the handlebars is already looking nicer.

-Installed a nifty little Chinese voltmeter atop the instrument box. I was going to wire it on the horn circuit, but opted for the tach instead. This way I don't have to lengthen any wires, just snip and crimp in.

-Cleaned all the electrical connections in the instrument box and put a dab of dielectric grease on 'em. This was the only part of the electrical system I hadn't yet cleaned and checked. Everything seems to be working properly in there and I was pleased to see that it was all pretty clean even before I touched it.

-Finally got the wheel bearings completed!!  ;D ;D I broke down yesterday and spent about 80 bucks getting every tool I could think of to make the job easier. I actually managed to find a brass punch set, which I've been searching everywhere for, and I followed Rikugun's advice and picked up a caliper as well. Also bought a couple of deep sockets to use as drives.

I took my time about it, going over every detail again. It's remarkable how such a simple job can become so frustrating when you aren't mentally prepared. After measuring all the dimensions of the old wheel I had to replace, I realized that I was 99 percent of the way done with the job, and only needed to make some small adjustments. With the tools I had I was able to do it nicely, and I'm satisfied now that it will function as good as possible. What a relief!

My tires came in the mail yesterday. Tomorrow I will get them put on, then the last thing I have to do before firing the engine up is the carb clean. First time in 12 years she's gonna be running!!
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

QBS

I'm really excited for you.  Looking forward to your, soon to come, Great Day!

treedragon

Today i did the fibreglassing for the new front windscreen. It's going to look rather well I'm thinking.
Now it's sandpaper, bog, and paint time to bring it up to standard.

What I did was cut out a piece of the existing fairing then mounted the screen in position with appropriate masking and protection, then used it as an in place mold for some very rapid glassing. I had generously guessed the hardener quantity so felt speed might have been of essence........... good thing I didn't really need the brush anymore  ::)

There is always a way

Fuzzlewump

Got a lot more done in the past couple days with very little trouble. Working on this machine is getting more and more enjoyable all the time, now that I know riding it is in the near future.

I was up all night last night working on her, and spent all day on it as well. Managed to sand and paint the frame, one coat of a Rustoleum rust protectant/primer and one coat of a satin black grill paint. It's a rattle-can job, so I don't know how it'll hold up in the long run...but right now it looks amazing.  :D It's such a great difference in appearance that I can't stop walking around the bike and staring at it.

I also pulled off the radiator and all its hosing, and discovered some startling evidence that the bike was left sitting with fluids in it. The T-joint with the thermostatic switch is really badly rusted around the nozzles, and inside is super nasty too. In the light of the garage it appeared that the inside of the joint was very calcified and filled with bubbled and flaky rust...in sunlight I could see that what looked like bubbled metal was actually the welds within the joint, but it's still super freakin' dirty in there.

The hose nozzle on the right side cover is also coated in a thick rust. I flushed out the radiator today with water and everything looked clean so far, but I'm still very worried about what I will find in the right side cover when I rebuild the coolant system this weekend.

I've learned that aluminum doesn't rust, so I feel better about the cylinder jackets. What I don't know about is the rest of the coolant system, inside the right side cover. What is in there that could be extensively damaged from bad fluids sitting in the bike for years? Am I facing a potentially major operation here?

Cleaned and painted the fan, and wrapped the wiring harness in new tape. The bike is looking cleaner and healthier all the time. Cheesy as it may sound, I'm happier than I've been in a long time when I care for this little machine. I should have gotten into this stuff years ago!
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

QBS

HarryTakeuchi

A couple of days ago I finally dismounted the gauges, turned it upside down lubricated the gauge and the speedo cable. Noise is gone, at least for now. Also kept the side fairings off as I broke the tab on the hot - cold plate on the right side and will have to somehow repair it.

Harry Takeuchi

munkyfistfight

I rode mine for about 600 miles this weekend. I threw a bit of Seafoam through the tank in hopes of sorting out carb issues. Then I ran it through the rain for about an hour and a half. Today I took it around the block for good measure.

As Tiger says "Someone took the love out of it. You have to put the love back into it."
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

QBS

Harry, somewhere in the World of ROV, long ago former Vnary Leather developed and posted a broken what you call the"hot - cold plate" repair procedure.  Not sure if his repair applys to your situation, but it's worth investigating.  All the Best to you.

The Prophet of Doom

treedragon

Today I finished the fairing, with it's new windscreen from a Yamaha R1.

It works surprisingly well and certainly has a more modern look even if it does accentuate the space alien look.........
Taller than the chopped down version I had on before it gives very good wind protection and really bounces the induction roar from the Weber............ sigh  ;D

There is always a way

iain

treedragon

well that was predictable  ;D  ;D  ;D

There is always a way

Rikugun

I'm glad Iain asked this time cause I was going to....  :P
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Roro, thank you for supplying the link for Harry.  And, thank you for your very significant support of our ROV community.

fret not

" And, thank you for your very significant support of our ROV community."  Yeah, for me too, thanks.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

treedragon

There is always a way

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: QBS on April 30, 2013, 01:37:56 PM
Roro, thank you for supplying the link for Harry.  And, thank you for your very significant support of our ROV community.
Quote from: fret nut on May 01, 2013, 01:05:33 AM
" And, thank you for your very significant support of our ROV community."  Yeah, for me too, thanks.
Thanks guys, it's nice to be appreciated.  I'm pretty familiar with the manuals by now I find stuff quite quickly.
3036 views on that resources thread - I'm hoping it has helped quite  few people out.

Jirik

Quote from: HarryTakeuchi on April 29, 2013, 09:14:29 PM
A couple of days ago I finally dismounted the gauges, turned it upside down lubricated the gauge and the speedo cable. Noise is gone, at least for now. Also kept the side fairings off as I broke the tab on the hot - cold plate on the right side and will have to somehow repair it.

Quote from: QBS on April 30, 2013, 12:56:52 AM
Harry, somewhere in the World of ROV, long ago former Vnary Leather developed and posted a broken what you call the"hot - cold plate" repair procedure.  Not sure if his repair applys to your situation, but it's worth investigating.  All the Best to you.

Or here is my method: http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14562.msg132605#msg132605

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan