What did you do to your vision today?

Started by sunburnedaz, January 24, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Jirik, excellent repair.  Simple.  Minimum number of pieces.  Highy functional.

skaalster

Last weekend on my 82' I Stripped, prepped and painted my swing arm, shaft drive and rear wheel, stabilizer bar...stripped/polished up the the pretty aluminum bits (rear Brake cover) and purchased new or cleaned all the bolts and hardware.....tonight its stripping/paint for the center stand...once done I'll be installing everything back onto the rear of the bike....next up will be the restoration of the front end :-)

lexx790

Slight oil leak on front cylinder and bike needed good clean after its winter use.
Forks off, drained water, fitted reconditioned starter, took of radiator and cam cover.
With the engine still in place I found the holes in the crank shafts and retorqued the head then put cam cover back on.
A few fixes while its apart, the self cancelled indicators never worked, found the reed switch didnt work, swapped for one of the spares.
The speedo reads 10% fast so with the speedo stripped in a vice I hooked it up to a drill and got it showing 77mph and just nudge the coil spring a bit so it read 70mph (previously checked against some sat navs)
Front forks and front wheel cleaned and repolished.
Reinstated a dash clock/thermometer and replaced blown dash LED light.
Things still to do,- replace fork oil, tidy cabling between the forks , fit new handlebar grips and a decent horn(s)

skaalster

Great idea for the Speedo fix/adjustment Lexx790!!  ;)

pinholenz

Put new handle bar grips on. Decided to use Oury Road/Street grips in black. Delighted so far, although the clutch grip is about 1/2 inch too long. No problem. A YouTube tutorial suggested thoroughly cleaning the bars with Brake Cleaner and then giving the inside of the new grip and the bar a good soak with brake cleaner before slipping the grips on. Worked treat - no glue! Left the grips about an hour and they were on solid
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

lexx790

Replaced fork oil.
Drill and tapped fork screw top and fitted a threaded taper plug so I can top up/replace the fork oil up with everything in place in the future.

Doc Nielsen

Yesterday I put on some new foot-peg-rubbers, filled up the tank, and today I drove almost 200km.
My speedometer acts like a window wiper when I get over 80 km/h, so I have no idea how fast I was going on the freeway. Highest gear, and 8500 rpm.
Anyone got a working speedometer to compare with?

mapek

kod mene je proljeće jako lijepo vrijeme oko 30 stepeni super vrijeme za provozati yamahu. mapek BIH!!!
SVE PROLAZI, SAMO JA SE MJENJAM...

Doc Nielsen

You can say that again. It's only 10 degrees here in Denmark, but the sun is out and the road is wide ;)

mapek

Ovdje je vrijeme extra ali su zato putevi katastrofa, neznaš šta te čeka iza krivine. Teško je ovdje brzo voziti motocikl.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Doc Nielsen on May 12, 2013, 11:18:48 AM
Anyone got a working speedometer to compare with?
Hi Doc, in top gear you will get something like this...

RPM - Km / Hr
1000 - 19
2000 - 39
3000 - 58
4000 - 78
5000 - 98
6000 - 117
7000 - 137
8000 - 157
9000 - 176
10000 - 196
10500 - 206

(assuming 11U gearing and 110/90 Tyre)

Doc Nielsen

Thanks roro. 160 sounds about right. In Denmark the limits on the freeway are 110 or 135. I had the road to myself so I just let it rip :D

QBS

Doc, greasing your speedometer cable input bushing and speedometer cable itself should help your speedometer problem.  I've written about greasing the input bushing several times.  Look it up.  Cheers to you.

Doc Nielsen

I tried that already, QBS. I attached a funnel to the top of the cable and poured 10w-40 down until it was well full. Problem is most lightly in the cockpit, not the gear.

QBS

You greased the cable receptor bushing?

pinholenz

Hmmm, the mesmerising bottom has made a return!!
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

Very nicely executed custom.  ;) Couple of questions...

How does it handle with the forks reversed?
Does the front cylinder exhaust exit similarly to the rear? Picture?
Is the rear wheel a grafted Vision hub/spoke with a Virago rim?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

mapek

Yamaha nije moja, ona je od kolege sa jednog foruma. ;) Evo link pa možeš pogledati :) http://www.motori.hr/forum/index.php?topic=23088.0

Rikugun

Quote from: mapek on May 14, 2013, 01:56:29 AM
Yamaha nije moja, ona je od kolege sa jednog foruma. ;) Evo link pa možeš pogledati :) http://www.motori.hr/forum/index.php?topic=23088.0

Thanks, that certainly cleared it up.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan