What did you do to your vision today?

Started by sunburnedaz, January 24, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

QuoteI had read in the archives that throttle should be held open during compression test.If so what is the change in readings?
The readings may be higher with the throttle open.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

lexx790

Summer has arrived in the UK (1st time in 5 years  ??? ) so time to make some adjustments.
I cut the original hazey screen down to a minimum painted the back black and polished the front.
Now hopefully I should get some cool breeze,  well until summer ends in a couple of weeks  :)

Fuzzlewump

Pulled my carbs off and cleaned them again today, and took a closer look at various problems the bike's been presenting lately. My accelerator pump is in awful shape so I'll be buying a Keyster kit before long.

Does anyone know of a source for accelerator pump diaphragms aside from the Keyster carb kit? I've already bought nearly everything the kit comes with, and from better manufacturers.

lexx790: I just noticed you're from Hayle, Cornwall. It's a small world! I've spent a night in Hayle while backpacking through England. Your part of the world is gorgeous! Hayle had the nicest hostel I've visited, as well as the best pasty shop, though I can't remember the names. I still have a Nalgene bottle I bought before leaving town for Trencrom hill. I bet it'd be a blast to ride the roads out your way!
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

lexx790

Quote from: Fuzzlewump on July 15, 2013, 12:29:55 AM
Pulled my carbs off and cleaned them again today, and took a closer look at various problems the bike's been presenting lately. My accelerator pump is in awful shape so I'll be buying a Keyster kit before long.

Does anyone know of a source for accelerator pump diaphragms aside from the Keyster carb kit? I've already bought nearly everything the kit comes with, and from better manufacturers.

lexx790: I just noticed you're from Hayle, Cornwall. It's a small world! I've spent a night in Hayle while backpacking through England. Your part of the world is gorgeous! Hayle had the nicest hostel I've visited, as well as the best pasty shop, though I can't remember the names. I still have a Nalgene bottle I bought before leaving town for Trencrom hill. I bet it'd be a blast to ride the roads out your way!

I'm glad you enjoyed my neck of the woods, the pasty shop was Phelps. People on the forum are now wondering what a pasty is  :)
There are great roads here as many were just expanded from old tracks through the counrtyside and so are rarely straight.
Have a look at this youtube clip which shows my alternative road home but in reverse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dPjSCRQ624 I don't travel this way to work as in the morning the road has too many rabbits on it. In the clip I live on the left turn at the roundabout at 1min 17.

fret not

There are a couple pasty shops here in Grass Valley, California.  They are the cultural remnants of the Cornish miners that worked the hard rock gold mines in the area.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Fuzzlewump

There's one here in Phoenix that is owned by a Cornish man. I hear they're the real deal but I have yet to try them. Those things are delicious! Perfect hiking food, too- a little goes a long way and they stay hot until you get to your destination. Mmmm, pasties.  :P
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

supervision

Hey lexx790, did you happen to make it to Goodwood Race Track, this past weekend for the annual bike event?? Nice to see you and your friends interest in the small bore scoots.
" border="0

lexx790

Quote from: supervision on July 16, 2013, 10:03:30 AM
Hey lexx790, did you happen to make it to Goodwood Race Track, this past weekend for the annual bike event?? Nice to see you and your friends interest in the small bore scoots.

Goodwood is a motoring event not just bikes, I haven't been to it yet but its one for me to do.
A  rare opportunity happened here, the sun shone, so we headed a few miles away to the beach, and took a pasty with us, was bleddy ansome.

supervision

" border="0

NITROPOLIS

Just got a bead blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. So excited to start blasting everything aluminum on this bike. could never stand the poor aluminum on these bikes. you can paint the bike and detail the thing. but you always have this big grey, blotchy motor hanging out from below. I just started with the foot peg brackets. I ground off the poor casting marks around the outer edge. the way their done looks like some one glued the front and the back together and didn"t care
about the alignment. So now nice and smooth.

jefferson

That looks really nice. Keep up the good work. I always try to remove those parting lines too.

Jeff

PwrManDan

What are your plans to keep them looking that way?

NITROPOLIS

Paint them Semi Flat Black. I'm going for a different look than what I had.

Rick G

I ran a honda 2 pot caliper , before i added the '83 brake set up . The  2 pot caliper actually worked better untill I used a set of sintered iron pads , on the '83  front end. They were hard on the discs though.

I'm pretty sure Sunburnedaz has it now.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

treedragon

today I managed to get a bit of tuning time on the dyno as we worked the Weber into shape, surprisingly it needed bigger mains, up to 1.58 at the moment.

Had to end early due to a Dyno issue and lack of time but I will get another chance at some later point, however I did see a 23% increase in horse power compared to last time several years ago, so we are on the right track.
There is always a way

pinholenz

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

treedragon

well not really.......

these machines at best only ever produced around 64hp at the crank according to Yamaha and there are more losses through a shaft drive than through a chain..........

So the real world stuff:
this machine was tested first when it was stock standard, euro gearing doing several runs in different gears, and the best we could get was 51.3hp at the rear wheel and this is on a par with other XZ's.

We did it again under the same parameters and today it returned a bit over 63hp at the rear wheel and this with some slippage on the drum (tire is stuffed), and no chance to refine the top end....

so potential is looking good for further developments, they are just going to have to wait a bit now, I am lucky to have got this amount of time so far.

There is always a way

The Prophet of Doom

treedragon

....... and let us not forget a large diameter exhaust, and a Weber to feed it.....   ;D

This is the first time I have heard the bike without being on it, in action, with the new exhaust on, right the way through to 10,000rpm (for now).
I have to say it has a gorgeous note. All the way from a low deep throb at low revs to what others have termed as being like some sort of race/track car (when I whip past them on the open road,) and all without it being tooo loud and offensive  8)

I'm a fan. Yes I'm a FAN!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

There is always a way

QBS