What did you do to your vision today?

Started by sunburnedaz, January 24, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Yeah, stop being so modest Treedragon. On those figures I make nearer a 25% increase over your previously measured output at the rear wheel. Fan-bloomin-tastic!
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

treedragon

my logic..... it was an increase of, thus   51.3 plus 23% = 63.099
There is always a way

pinholenz

Yep, sorry. My bad. I read that as 64hp at the wheel, not 63hp.
Therefore 63-51.3=11.7hp increase. 11.7/51.3 = 22.8% increase in power. Brill!
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

Treedragon, that does sound impressive. Even without the benefit ok knowing the dyno numbers I'm sure the visceral feedback is substantial. Of course, you get used the new power fairly quickly and then need more....   ;)  :)

Quote from: roro on July 22, 2013, 08:14:32 PM
Rik, can you share the useful tips or are they secret?
No secret, I'd be happy to share with anyone interested although stress every setup is different depending on components used.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Im very interested.  A separate topic perhaps.  I'll chime in with descriptions and measurements of my Gold NOS Brembo calipers, R1 rotors, Goodridge stainless hoses, (all sitting in my parts boxes) and pictures of course of the finished result after I've absorbed all the hints and tips.

sunburnedaz

Quote from: Rick G on July 22, 2013, 11:52:33 PM
I ran a honda 2 pot caliper , before i added the '83 brake set up . The  2 pot caliper actually worked better untill I used a set of sintered iron pads , on the '83  front end. They were hard on the discs though.

I'm pretty sure Sunburnedaz has it now.

I dont think so. I dont remember seeing it.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

sunburnedaz

I added semi ridged hard bags off a 05 Victory kingpin. I will try to get pics of the setup tonight. Life has been so busy, replaced motors in a 08 Kawi 250 and an 07 GSXR 750 and now i have a Buell in my garage with a no start issue and busted fork seals.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Rick G

Hi Sunburn , I'll look in the shed , I f i have it, its yours next trip.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sunburnedaz

98 ZX-6R Track Bike

QBS

Outstanding, and so many nice details to boot.  Love the round headlight and checker pattern.  Removing the dedicated licence plate light subtly cleans up the rear nicely.

Rikugun

Something about that first ride after a long break and especially after having done restorative work. Great work!  :D

I too like the white on black checkerboard. The rise on the handlebars seems to fit the bike nicely. Interesting front turn signal and horn location too.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pullshocks

That looks very cool, Ceme24.  Checkered flag motif and other white accents really fit with the round headlight.

Tell us about what you have bolted in where the YICS box usually goes.

ceme24

The previous owner said he thought something was wrong with it so be capped it off.  I suppose I should check it out ...

CE
1982 Vision

The Prophet of Doom

Looks like he replaced the YICS with the horn.  If you try to do the YICS bubble test with the horn, things wont go so well for you

ghostrider

Hi everyone - good morning to you all!

I have made one introductory post on being a new rider and I am proud to say that the Vision is my first bike.  Yesterday, after leaving the bike in my parents shed for roughly 2 1/2 months, my brother in law and I took out the bike and did some preparatory work.

We took the gas tank off and sprayed some started fluid in the carbs and we also jump started it.  I was able to ride it around the block in 2nd gear, but the guy I purchased it off of said that it needs to have the carburetor cleaned out. 

This weekend the bike goes into the shop for a carb cleaning, inspection and possibly a repair job on an exhaust.  My brother in law thinks there is a crack in one of the pipes, the bike was incredibly loud!

Very psyched to get it up and running.  My rider safety course begins on Aug 20th!  Shortly afterwards I will be biking into the office!

The previous owner kept the bike in the garage and road it off and on for 16 years.  Having said that, is there anything else I should ask the shop to take a look at?

Thanks!

dingleberry

Welcome to the forum Ghostrider. What part of the world are you from? Good luck with getting your bike up to shipshape condition.
I would fit an inline petrol filter and thorough inspection of electrical connections. Change oil and coolant. What are the tyres like, worn evenly or squared off? Get shop to check suspension as well given the fact you are a new rider you may not distinguish between a good/bad set-up.
You like, oui?

QBS

Start thinking about a replacement exhaust system.  You'll probably need one.  Find out as much of the bikes' upgrade history as you can.  You'll probably be having related questions soon.  Anticipate the "shop" being unable to ge the bike running as you would like for it to.  Most bike techs weren't born when the V was new.

ghostrider

Quote from: QBS on August 12, 2013, 10:39:08 AM
Start thinking about a replacement exhaust system.  You'll probably need one.  Find out as much of the bikes' upgrade history as you can.  You'll probably be having related questions soon.  Anticipate the "shop" being unable to ge the bike running as you would like for it to.  Most bike techs weren't born when the V was new.

I am not surprised to hear that.  Do you have any recommended vendors for replica exhaust systems?

ghostrider

Quote from: the oldstuff on August 12, 2013, 08:33:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Ghostrider. What part of the world are you from? Good luck with getting your bike up to shipshape condition.
I would fit an inline petrol filter and thorough inspection of electrical connections. Change oil and coolant. What are the tyres like, worn evenly or squared off? Get shop to check suspension as well given the fact you are a new rider you may not distinguish between a good/bad set-up.

I am in the Philadelphia, PA suburbs, a half hour or so away from Center City.  I am concerned about the wiring system but I dont really have any electrical skills at all to fix it, in the event that something broke. 

Tires are in great shape, the PO had recently purchased new tires and then his wife made him sell the bike.  His loss is my gain in this case.

I will ask about the suspension too - thank you for looking out.

Rick G

The front turn signals look cool , but are in a bad location they should be located where  other drivers can see them . The stock system comes to mind.
Mac exhaust systems  are reasonably priced  and used ones show up on this forum occasionally . There loud to some ears , to mine they sound great , with lots of authority. look in the swap  section of this forum  for leads. There are a set of predator pipes for sale there . All stainless steel and gorgeous
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike