News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What did you do to your vision today?

Started by sunburnedaz, January 24, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Got the old girl back on the road after the winter lay-over. Haven't done much apart from a new rear brake switch and an overhaul of the starter motor and starter wiring. New heavy duty cables. Huge difference to starting and running. Sounds great.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on September 21, 2013, 09:30:17 AM
It did not come with the lowers so I made "wind deflectors" for seasonal use which help a lot for the legs.
Is "wind deflectors" a euphemism for chaps?

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on October 06, 2013, 06:13:21 AM
Is "wind deflectors" a euphemism for chaps?
Oh you'd like that wouldn't you?  ;)  :D  Actually no, they're polycarbonate and attach at the two factory 6 mm screw positions under the main fairing. The bottom attaches to the engine case guards. The front edge has an aluminum guide that catches the leading edge of the radiator shroud. They are admittedly awkward looking but very effective in deflecting cold air off the lower body and funneling all the heated air going through the radiator onto your legs. Probably a lot like the factory lowers but not as attractive....
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

hoverhead47

Today I scrounged under the bench and got the YICS off the donor engine after I found the my bikes YICS leaked between chambers.  I tested it and I have both the YICS leaking between chambers :(
I got one of them apart after I cleaned them inside with carb and brake cleaner (brake cleaner doesn't clean the muck as well as carb cleaner).

Cleaned the flanges and removed the nicks and reassembled with 3bond.  Gave it a little test after an hour to find that it still leaked so pulled it apart again, cleaned it some more, checked with magnifiers for any cracking, didn't see any so closed it up again after coating the dividing wall and making sure the grooves were well filled. Screwed it and clamped it.  No testing until tomorrow I suppose.

vl5150

I've just been riding mine.  The cool thing is after I rebuilt my starter and double o-ringed it, I don't have any annoying oil leaks either.

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

hoverhead47

Today, I reinstalled the carbies, mounted a temporary tank, started and ran the engine for about twenty minutes.  Although it had been started last week and ran for less then a minute all up, having been laid up for the last  23 years (with the exception of five minutes engine run about five years ago), the engine fired up and ran without any hesitation.

Putting the carbies back on had me puzzled for a short time as when I when to re-attach the throttle cable, I found I couldn't move the throttles, they were hitting against something.  It took a couple of unmounts and remounts before I discovered that the new boots had a height difference from the old ones and the throttle lever was hitting one of the bolt heads (see pic).  A bit of a grinding has solved that :)

I used the "choke" for a little while until the engine had warmed and had to adjust the throttle stop to get a steady idle.
Am very pleased that it went as well as it has and tomorrow I'll be breaking out the balancer to sync the carbies.
Found the rear cylinder cam chain tensioner cover a bit loose so will be nipping it up before starting.

Rikugun

Quote from: hoverhead47 on October 06, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
Putting the carbies back on had me puzzled for a short time as when I when to re-attach the throttle cable, I found I couldn't move the throttles, they were hitting against something.  It took a couple of unmounts and remounts before I discovered that the new boots had a height difference from the old ones and the throttle lever was hitting one of the bolt heads (see pic).  A bit of a grinding has solved that :)

That's a new one to me. I don't recall anyone reporting this before. Were these NOS Yamaha manifolds or pattern parts?

hoverhead47

Quote from: Rikugun on October 08, 2014, 08:45:49 AM
Quote from: hoverhead47 on October 06, 2014, 08:57:27 AM

That's a new one to me. I don't recall anyone reporting this before. Were these NOS Yamaha manifolds or pattern parts?
www.ebay.com.au/itm/350656031791
Also it might have been something I didn't discover until I replaced the air box, that the carbies may have been cocked a little to that side.  While I had pushed them home into grooves in the boots, it's possible that they may have been leaning a little and I didn't see or feel it.  I thought it strange but couldn't see anything out of place.

hoverhead47

Today I bought a helmet, MC insurance, unregistered vehicle permit and took my XZ around the estate for the first time in 17 years for a shake down run.  So far front brakes are stuck else OK.

hoverhead47

I've flushed out the old coolant and replaced it with waterless (not Evans).
I balanced the carbs and have a nice steady 1100 rpm idle. But there is a slight misfire from 3k to around 5.5k rpm and something a hint of a back fire on over run.
I suppose I'd better take out the plugs and read them.  They are such a pain to get out though.
I've unmounted the callipers and given them a scrub to remove the crud on the pistons.  They not so sticky now. Measured the temps of the disks after a 17 km run and they were only 36C.
I only have 45 days on the permit for this year and I don't want to waste them but am getting itchy to get out for a decent run.

pinholenz

Unregistered vehicle permit? Sounds very civilised. Is that a bit like having old fashioned "dealers plates"?

Sounds like you are nearly good to go! Congratulations.

hoverhead47

It's called a Cub Permit it's for vehicles older than 25 years, only available through membership of authorised clubs and has a limited number of days per year use and a log book must be kept up to date and on vehicle on penalty of demerit points.

Quote from: pinholenz on October 23, 2014, 03:20:40 AM
Unregistered vehicle permit? Sounds very civilised. Is that a bit like having old fashioned "dealers plates"?

Sounds like you are nearly good to go! Congratulations.

pinholenz

Wow, that is extremely civilised! Given that I tend to be a warm weather rider, that would be perfect for the odd week long trip and weekend jaunts. I want one.  Is the club permit linked on just one vehicle or do you have the same number of days for each permit and vehicle.?

Maybe there is a case for Australia taking over New Zealand as another state after all.

hoverhead47

Quote from: pinholenz on October 23, 2014, 09:13:25 PM
Wow, that is extremely civilised! Given that I tend to be a warm weather rider, that would be perfect for the odd week long trip and weekend jaunts. I want one.  Is the club permit linked on just one vehicle or do you have the same number of days for each permit and vehicle.?

Maybe there is a case for Australia taking over New Zealand as another state after all.
Have a look at this link, it will explain better than I would. The problem with it the Club permited vehicles aren't recognised are registered is W.A.  That's no prob for me as I'm unlikely to ever rise the XZ550 over to there.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/limited-use-permits/club-permit-scheme/car-club-permits

skucera

Not quite today, but....

Thursday after getting home from work I noticed that my rear tire had some tire cord showing though.  Yikes.  Luckily, I had another rear wheel with an unworn Metzler Lasertec tire already mounted and balanced, so after dinner I swapped that wheel onto my bike.  Wow!  What a difference a smooth, almost new (OK, twenty year old new) tire makes.  It's way better than the worn out Battlax was, especially in the rain.  No squirm at all crossing paint stripes or tar strips.

Scott

hoverhead47

Today I recovered the seat with an Ebay purchased replica seat cover http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180763859386
After taking a few lessons from the University of Youtube, I felt that this was within my abilities and I was correct, even if I do say so myself.
I'm quite satisfied with the cover and look forward to getting out to test it.

Rikugun

Quote from: hoverhead47 on October 29, 2014, 12:38:18 AM
After taking a few lessons from the University of Youtube, I felt that this was within my abilities and I was correct, even if I do say so myself.

Good deal. It really is amazing the vast and varied information available on YouTube.

hoverhead47

Today I went on a ride with the Custom and Classic Japanese Motorcycle Club.  A total of 401 Kms from home and back. We went on roads that were no longer the main interstate/ intra state highways and some other "back roads" that have some nice twist end bends and a little bit of hill climbing as well.  My XZ didn't miss a beat although with the new tyres I fear that I may have exceeded the speed limits unintentionally. Will have to wait and see.

cvincer

After a successful  4000km  test in the LH brake caliper, put round section seals in the RH brake caliper.

The 'seal' shop  gave their numbers as                   221 EPR    and      127  EPR.

They cost    A$ 1    each.