News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Winter Projects

Started by Re-Vision, January 26, 2013, 12:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

I was wondering how many of us would be doing the same projects and upgrades, might be an opportunity to determine the best parts supplier and best prices as well as potential savings on shipping if we combined our order. I'm thinking of master cylinder and wheel cylinder kits and possibly stainless brake lines for an 83. Not all M/C kits seem to have the window, anyone know where to get the glass?     BDC

sunburnedaz

1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Re-Vision

Looks like this would be a good item to buy several of, anyone else needing an M/C window?

Sunburnedaz, were you aware of this Vision?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3506680910.html

BDC

Fuzzlewump

Holy $@#&! That's a cheap parts bike, regardless of what might be wrong with it. If I had the space to store it, I'd be all over that (provided sunburned didn't want dibs  :) ). Figures something like that would crop up when I'm not in a position to take advantage...

I saw one on C-list a couple weeks ago that didn't run but I think they wanted like 1,500 for it. Crazy.

I'll be getting a stainless steel brake line soon, but I'm good on the MC glass.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Re-Vision

You didn't come to mind when I thought of AZ ROVers but I figured anyone close to a deal like that might want to take advantage of it.     BDC

Rick G

I thought about it , but its 175 miles from here. Maybe not.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Rick, don't torture yourself!  :o You allready have a shed full of bikes and parts you can't even get to!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

sunburnedaz

Quote from: Re-Vision on January 26, 2013, 07:26:03 AM
Looks like this would be a good item to buy several of, anyone else needing an M/C window?

Sunburnedaz, were you aware of this Vision?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/3506680910.html

BDC

Yup I called them about it its in a breaker yard and they dont like to sell whole bikes.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Rick G

That's true , Rik.  Maybe some of you would like to stock up on parts , I have great prices and need to make room in the shed
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

This link to Amazon for the lens is dead.  NEXT?
What adhesive would be appropriate for installing a lens in the master cylinder?  Exposed directly to brake fluid, ya know.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

cvincer

Perhaps you could find a spec sheet for these suggestions........

fret not

Thanks.  I was hoping someone would already know of a suitable adhesive.  Somewhere in the automotive/industrial world someone knows what is appropriate for bonding glass to metal (that's not the hard part) that is in contact with automotive brake fluid (that's the hard part).  I would prefer not to guess.  Maybe I will try some tests of various materials : RTV silicon, vinyl adhesive, cyanoacrylate, ?

kevin g

I just searched for "motorcycle brake master cylinder sight glass" and a whole mess of them popped up.  I think it is 18mm.  I bought mine this way and it was easy to install and worked perfectly.  I had two but when I sold my bike the second one went with it.

fret not

The window on my master cylinder measures .665" or 16.5mm. with my calipers.

kevin g

Is that just the clear window or the diameter of the entire insert?  Mine was a standard size.  The window has a metal frame around it and there is an o-ring that sits behind it in the MC to seal against leaks.

fret not

Well, it appears I have more investigating to do.  I did not know the sight glass was as complicated.  Frame?  I will dig into it a bit deeper.  Thanks.

fret not

WOW!  18mm!  I put a small socket on the inside of the master cylinder reservoir (behind the slotted plate), and a disfigured washer on the outside, and water pump pliers, a couple tries and the 'capsule' popped out!  Thanks for the information and encouragement, I learned something.

fret not

I just ordered some sight glass units on e-Bay (from China).  They are the 'capsule' with sealed lens and 'rubber' sealing ring.  It seems they all come from the same city and all look alike in the pics on display on the eBay site.  There are many 'offers' to choose from, though they all appear like the same manufacture.  I suspect a plastic lens.  I should receive a couple of them delivered to my mailbox for less than $10 including shipping.

kevin g

Yes, just the way I got mine.  While I was there I striped and painted the MC with epoxy black I got from Eastwood.  If you get epoxy it is best to paint a whole bunch of things so you use the whole can.  After activating it has a limited pot life.

MoVision

Insomnia struck as I was waiting for parts and I thought about building a wiring harness. Never touched one before but the old owner had an extra one so maybe I can label everything first while connected and generate a plan from there?
enjoy the wrenching... This bike was sitting for 24 years in a barn. Took a week to get running until the gas tank started leaking....carbs done, coolant lines redone, brakes, tires, new paint, wiring, coolant reservoir vapor cleaned, front forks repacked, up next rear suspension