Storing your motorcycle

Started by admin, September 08, 2003, 05:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

this was sent to me in an email by Bill Wheeler, I think that its a good topic, one that we can maybe add to or even turn it into a FAQ. here it is;

STORING YOUR MOTORCYCLE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every year lots and lots of people just come in from riding, push their bike over in a corner and walk away. They return in four or five months and wonder why their bike won't run... well DUH ! If you want that bike to work for you, you've got to take care of it. Let's take a look at how you do that.

The Minimum

Gas rots, so you must put in fuel stabilizer and run the engine long enough to get it completely through the carbs. Then, either fill up the gas tank to full ( To the bottom of the filler neck ) with gas that has no Alcohol ( Oxygenated ) in it, and has the proper mix of fuel stabilizer in it. Or drain all of the gas out of the tank and spray some gas soluble oil on the inside of the tank to keep it from rusting. The choice is up to you. Either way is OK.
Drain all the gas out of the carbs. Most carbs have a drain screw on the bottom of the carb.
Take the battery out and, if necessary, add distilled water to it and clean off the outside ( Battery Box Too ! ) with a mixture of baking soda and water. Then put the battery on a trickle charger ( No more than one AMP ) and charge it till it is fully charged. Do this at least once a month, till you start riding again.

The Maximum - Add The Following.

Wash and wax your Motorcycle.
Change the engine oil and oil filter.
Change ALL other oils and fluids, such as rear end oil, radiator fluid, brake fluid, etc.
Take out all the spark plugs and put about a tablespoon of engine oil down each spark plug hole. Now turn the engine over several times to ditribute the oil around the cylinder. Be sure and ground the spark plug wires when you do this. This is to protect the ignition system.
Use a breathable motorcycle cover to keep dust and moisture out. Plastic tarps that don't breath trap moisture in, causing rust.

Something More

I like to put some type of water displacing, penetrating oil in each cylinder to sort of dry it out, before I put in the engine oil. Combustion makes a lot of water, and some of it always seems to get into the piston ring area.
I like to use some kind of Armor All type preservative on all plastic and rubber parts.
If you change the fluid in your bike's radiator, use distilled water and a motorcycle type anti-freeze. Car type anti-freezes use additives that can wear out your water pump.
If you change your brake or clutch fluid, use the type recomended for your system, Dot 3, 4, or 5. Which one ? It's in your Shop Manual. You do have one, don't you ?
It costs a bit more, but you can get a trickle charger that will shut off automaticly when the battery is fully charged and start up again when it's charge goes down. You can leave it connected and on all the time.
Aluminum does rust...sort of, so an application of spray wax or the like, to all surfaces of the engine, wouldn't hurt.
Keep the bike in a dry, heated garage, if possible.
Once a month or so, turn the engine over a couple of times, to keep things loose and lubed !
Keep it in the dark... sunlight thru a window can fade paint and the like.

At least do the minimum. If you don't, you might get away with it once or twice, but sooner or later You Will Loose.

again, thanks to Bill Wheeler for sending this,
anyone have anything to add ?

-Ron

Lucky

I got this too & I don't even know who Bill Wheeler is...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

admin

for a while I was wondering about that myself.
if you've bought anything on ebay for a vision it may have been from him. I bought a lockset and a seat a long time ago.
he is a parts recycler, does a decent job too. mostly xs650's
but once in a while a vision. I almost bought an 83 gas tank from him but it was really rusty, the good part was that he went back and shot some pictures of the inside of the tank for me. a pretty nice thing to do really.

I just thought it was fairly well laid out so I posted it.

-Ron

Rick G

I add  2 ounces of Sea foam to every other tank full  , year round  , reduces rust and carb problems,
In Oregon i don't have to "pickle" my bike. Theres a 4 to 6 week period in the winter when its to nasty to ride much  but I get out  for  30 min. or so just to keep everything working. I do take the time evry year , to  go over the bike , Lube cables , lube the throttle drum ,  drain float bowls , clean the battery termanls,  replace the rear end lube,  and a lot of the stuff Bill Mentions.
I emailed Bill to inform him of the forum, and to suggest  he offer any stuff, (at reduced prices ) that wouldn't sell on ebay.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RRD

Lucky

Sea Foam is a company that makes automotive additives, stuff for transmisions, carbs, fuel injection systems, etc.  Berrymans is another good one
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Sea foam, will dewater the gas tank and keep varnish from forming in the carbs.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kiawrench

I work in a new car dealership (KIA) and we use sea-foam products on all major services. they offer a full line of additives that really work well.
 ?If you dont find it at your local autoparts shop, check a marine supply store, it works just as well on boats as it does on cars.
 ? if nothing else, you can buy it from jc whitney. com , just remember when you go to the store, buy a can of pb blaster also . is will loosen bolts and nuts and break rust better than wd40. I keep a travel size can of this in my saddle bags, never know when you may need it. It displaces water better than wd-40 too, so it does have its uses . (you can fog your cylinders with it , if you are in a place where weather kills the riding time for winter months )and it will free up stuck piston rings faster than a hammer can . Thanks for the list , never had a winter punch list for off weeks, wil make a new chart for that , add it to my wall
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

I've been singing the praises of Sea Foam, ever since I put it in my snow blower in MN.  the transmission version is in my minivan right now , and it feels likre a new trans.
 Lucky turned us on to PBlaster  a couple of years ago , but its good the bring it up again, as there are lots of new people now.
Rick G