News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Shift-shaft service/removal/installation

Started by munkyfistfight, February 20, 2013, 11:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

On the new motor I bought the pressing issue is that the shift-shaft needs to be removed. All of the teeth on one side are smushed up and I can't get the gear shift lever on it. Plus the e-clip is missing. I want to take the clutch-side side-cover off anyway. Is there any easy procedure for removing and replacing the shift-shaft? I have a decent replacement from my other motor. It didn't seem easy when I took the old one off the other motor.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

QBS

I haven't done this.  However, Lucky has several times recommended drilling a coupleof holes into the seal, screwing a sheet metal screw into each hole, and then pulling on the screws to pull the seal out of the engine case.

Rikugun

Q, that's a common trick for seal replacement but the issue here is the condition of the shift shaft splines necessitating it's replacement. Once it's removed, a more conventional replacement method could be implemented prior to the new shaft being installed.

Monkey, It's good to see you posting and working on your bikes again.  :) If you are mechanically inclined and have had Japanese engines apart in the past you could probably figure it out as you go. There are special considerations with the water pump though that prior air cooled engine work would not prepare you for.

I'd recommend sourcing a manual and read up on the topic. Even experienced mechanics can't be expected to hold within their head info on every make and model they encounter. I think you can still buy the Haynes manual new and I wouldn't be surprised if you found one used for reasonable money. Also Roro or Lucky may be able to hook you up with a digital version reasonably.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

munkyfistfight

On the fubar motor I recently took apart I had an issue taking the shift shaft out. It seemed to get stuck or didn't want to come out easily. At any rate, I have the Haynes manual and other Vision service manuals in PDF format. I was just wondering if there was a trick to it. I'm removing the clutch anyways for inspection as I'm not certain of it's condition.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Rikugun

OOOHHHH! I see!  ;) If you've done this before then my guess is it's not a matter of technique or knowledge.  ;)  Maybe it's bent? Does it move at all? If the damaged end were cut off would it then slide out?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan