News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

swapping cylinder barrels between 82 and 83

Started by turbovision, February 21, 2013, 08:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbovision

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it would be possible to use 1982 (11H) cylinder barrels on a 1983 (28V) engine,I understand the barrel deck height is a little different requiring to use the proper head gasket,steel for 83 composite for 82,my concern is that the 83 crankshaft is 1mm larger in diamater an comes a little closer to touching the bottom of the cylinder skirt however it does clear by about a half a mm,does any one have any expirence with this,if so any advice would be wellcomed.
Thank You
Jim Ruska

Rikugun

I have no idea and will be curious to see where this lands. I didn't k now the cranks were different - do you know why?  Also is the deck height different because of the different thickness gasket material or are the cylinder heights different between the two years?  The piston dome and combustion chamber shape are the same between the two years?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbovision

the crankshaft was 1mm larger in diameter,for more flywheel effect,the connrcting rods were different to match the increase in crankshaft weight,the cylinder deck heights were different to match the different thickness of the head gaskets.