News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Thinking about getting this 92 fj1200

Started by Hartless, February 26, 2013, 09:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I consider buying this beast?

Yes!
3 (60%)
Uh NO!
1 (20%)
Why should I care?
0 (0%)
I like turtles
0 (0%)
Apple pie anyone?
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Hartless

Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Tiger

8) BUY IT!!! That is a great price for a great bike...you will not regret it, I haven't... 8)

The Corbin seat is nearly $1,000!!!

Check out the www.fjowners.com web site.

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

I'd vote yes but question the comment regarding second gear. Are these known for weak dogs and skipping out of gear? If so stay clear or you'll be in over your head.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

Quote from: Rikugun on February 26, 2013, 01:08:16 PM
I'd vote yes but question the comment regarding second gear. Are these known for weak dogs and skipping out of gear? If so stay clear or you'll be in over your head.

This is what I was thinking, but from my quick google search supposedly this year doesn't have this problem

Rick G

FJ's are OK , But I'm the  wrong guy to ask . I don't like fours of any persuasion , When I bought a bike to supplement my XZ I bought a VX 800 Suzuki ! 2 cylinders , just like God intended! I don't like bikes that weigh over 500 lbs , I bet the FJ  crowds 600.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

Im either thinking an fj1100/1200 or a katana 1200. im just a big guy so most smaller bikes don't work well for me. that's what is strange about the vision. im 6'6" tall and 270lbs and im still comfortable on a v. my only problem is im looking at taking a loan for it so I can boost my credit, that and I don't have much money. I just hate owing money though, it makes me sick.

fret not

Don't buy a vehicle to gain credit, buy a house!

That FJ is well over 500 lbs. dry, just sayin'.  If you are comfortable with it then fine, but a bike that heavy I start looking for maneuvering room and uneven surfaces on the way INTO a parking lot. It's got enough horsepower to get into trouble all too easily.

New chain and sprockets is good, make sure you get the original air box though.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Hartless

Quote from: fret nut on February 26, 2013, 11:41:10 PM
Don't buy a vehicle to gain credit, buy a house!

That FJ is well over 500 lbs. dry, just sayin'.  If you are comfortable with it then fine, but a bike that heavy I start looking for maneuvering room and uneven surfaces on the way INTO a parking lot. It's got enough horsepower to get into trouble all too easily.

New chain and sprockets is good, make sure you get the original air box though.
Hahaha. There is quite a big difference in price margin between a house and a motorcycle say a couple hundred g's at least 😜. I'd hope that I can handle a little over 500 lns considering I weigh more that half that 😁.  I just really want something to right that I don't have to work on constantly. Plus I have some plans for my vision.....

Hartless

Oh no... I just found one of my faves in my price range
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/3645623570.html
Says he has rode it hard "sometimes" though

Rikugun

Yup, those Kawi's are nice too!  :D At 6'6" and 270 lbs. I'd agree a litre plus bike is a better choice for you. With you, your GF, and a back pack with lunch you probably exceed the V's GVWR.  :o Comfort wise, not all big bikes are created equal though. My brother had a CBR1000 that was more cramped than the Vision. The seat to handlebar relationship was good but the peg to seat distance was cramped and he's only 5'10".  Don't let the excitement of a new bike cloud your judgment. Sit on them and honestly assess how comfortable they'll be on longer rides. Take test rides if you can.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

fret not

Quote from: Hartless on February 27, 2013, 12:34:59 PM
Oh no... I just found one of my faves in my price range
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/3645623570.html
Says he has rode it hard "sometimes" though

Said the choke cable broke, and hasn't fixed it.  Rode hard at times, geared lower so it wheelies more easily. . . . . . . . . plus with that many miles, I'd pass.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Hartless

Yup I passed on the kawi. I was just excited. I'm still in a pickle about the fj. I want to but I don't. If
I do I won't work on the v as hard as I should

Rikugun

Heap all your Vision parts and bikes into a pile and take a picture. Use it to place a "For Sale" ad on Craigslist. Cut your losses and take whatever you can get and put it towards the FJ or something similar.  ;)  ;D

Tiger

Quote from: fret nut on February 26, 2013, 11:41:10 PM
That FJ is well over 500 lbs. dry,  but a bike that heavy I start looking for maneuvering room and uneven surfaces on the way INTO a parking lot.

If this old fart at 5' 9", with a 29" inside leg seam can handle an FJ I'm sure a 6'6" tall and 270lbs guy can... ;D :D :D :D :D... ;) ... but still a good point.

Damn, I do love my FJ 8)

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I never liked heavy bikes , I suppose its from my Roadracing background. I looked at a GS850 Suzuki four , because of its shaft,  but those things weigh around 800 lbs , The one i rode was no fun at all.  YMMV
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Ok, they're heavy but not that bad!  You must have ridden the limited edition cast iron model.  :D

Hartless

Quote from: Rikugun on February 28, 2013, 05:48:42 PM
Heap all your Vision parts and bikes into a pile and take a picture. Use it to place a "For Sale" ad on Craigslist. Cut your losses and take whatever you can get and put it towards the FJ or something similar.  ;)  ;D

im thinking of doing this, and its funny that you say that because I just talked to John (fiatracer) and he said he would be interested. I didn't realize how many parts I have laying around until I started listing them off..... but I don't know, I just feel so connected to my vision now. I have a hard time getting rid of my vehicles especially when I have spent a lot of time with them/working on them.... :'( but it would be nice having a bigger bike. plus I wouldn't hang out with you guys as much.... :-[

Hartless

applied for the loan :laugh: a little info on the fj. synthetic blends were used. new regulator. it had bent forks on it when he got it and he put new ones on. going to check it out this weekend. ill keep you posted

Rikugun

I'm guessing he replaced more than bent forks.  It seems unlikely an owner prior to him repaired the crash (oh yeah, it's been crashed)  damage except for the forks. I would scrutinize this bike very carefully.