News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Thinking about getting this 92 fj1200

Started by Hartless, February 26, 2013, 09:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I consider buying this beast?

Yes!
3 (60%)
Uh NO!
1 (20%)
Why should I care?
0 (0%)
I like turtles
0 (0%)
Apple pie anyone?
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Hartless

Well I figured he didn't just brake too hard and bent the forks ahahaha. But that's ok, if I like it that's something
I can talk him down for. He already wants more than nada value and it needs new breaks and a hard to find/ expensive rear 16" tire. Think I should be able to get him close to $1000. If not I might have to wait. There is also a nice 97 bandit up in Longview, wa I've been checking
Out. And a zzr600
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Tiger

Quote from: Hartless on March 02, 2013, 01:27:32 PM
He already wants more than nada value and it needs new breaks and a hard to find/ expensive rear 16" tire. Think I should be able to get him close to $1000.

I think, on face value, he is asking a very fair price!!

I've just done tires and brakes.

Brake pads are no more expensive than a set for an '83 Vision and I bought a pair of 16" Pirelli Sport Demons, delivered to my door for $265.00...they are not a hard to come by size. However, you could eventually upgrade to 17" rims and have a much larger pool to fish from ;) Most parts are still readily available and FJ's are very reliable 8)

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Hartless

Quote from: Tiger on March 02, 2013, 04:47:29 PM
Quote from: Hartless on March 02, 2013, 01:27:32 PM
He already wants more than nada value and it needs new breaks and a hard to find/ expensive rear 16" tire. Think I should be able to get him close to $1000.

I think, on face value, he is asking a very fair price!!

I've just done tires and brakes.

Brake pads are no more expensive than a set for an '83 Vision and I bought a pair of 16" Pirelli Sport Demons, delivered to my door for $265.00...they are not a hard to come by size. However, you could eventually upgrade to 17" rims and have a much larger pool to fish from ;) Most parts are still readily available and FJ's are very reliable 8)

well lets hope you are correct, which you are usually. still havnt got the thing, still waiting to hear back from the bank, im guessing that I will be waiting until Monday at least......dang hope its not gone!
Tiger, is there anything in specific I should look for on one of these things that I should stay away from?

Tiger

Quote from: Hartless on March 03, 2013, 02:21:04 AM
Tiger, is there anything in specific I should look for on one of these things that I should stay away from?

Not really... :-\

They are not prone to any major problems...The engines can be a little noisy/rattley but this is normal for an FJ.

Just look for the 'normal' things when buying a used bike...tires, brakes, lights, oil leaks, smoke, front shock oil leaks, broken/missing plastics, road rash on the plastics/engine, etc, etc... 

Again, check out the fjowners.com site. You will find me their as...TIGER!! ;D :D :D :D... 8)

ps Going with hard cash is the best way to seal any deal 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

QuoteThe engines can be a little noisy/rattlely but this is normal for an FJ.
Why is that? Are the auto cam chain tensioners less effective as age creeps up on them? Poor carb sync induced clutch basket rattle?

edit: out of curiosity I did some research and found what is probably one of the main offenders - they are a chain primary engine...   my GPz 550 is the same way as are all the KZ motors of that type  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

Quote from: Tiger on March 03, 2013, 09:05:42 AM
Quote from: Hartless on March 03, 2013, 02:21:04 AM

Not really... :-\

They are not prone to any major problems...The engines can be a little noisy/rattley but this is normal for an FJ.

Just look for the 'normal' things when buying a used bike...tires, brakes, lights, oil leaks, smoke, front shock oil leaks, broken/missing plastics, road rash on the plastics/engine, etc, etc... 

Again, check out the fjowners.com site. You will find me their as...TIGER!! ;D :D :D :D... 8)

ps Going with hard cash is the best way to seal any deal 8)

That is good to hear! If I get it I will def join that site. Btw that is a reason I got a personal loan because I love talking!