New roads for a Calif Spring ride

Started by VisionMeister, March 28, 2013, 01:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

Monday I got together with Supervision and explored some new (old) roads for alternate routes.
I used Google maps to find an alternate route around Valley Springs, which gets busy in the summer season.
After meeting in Copperopolis we road Salt Springs Reservoir road to Rock Creek Rd and back to Sonora Rd wher we headed north towards Valley Springs.
From Hwy 26 we turned west on Olive Orchard Rd, which wound around the lower foothills and crossed Hwy12 to Paloma Rd, which headed east toward Mokelumne Hill. These roads both had good pavement with good combinations of turns, and light to no traffic.
We continued on Hwy 26 toward West Point where we doubled back to Railroad Flat, Mountain Ranch and San Andreas.
This photo was taken on the RR Flat to Mtn. Ranch stretch. I had to ride the Ducati because of recent issues with the Vision.
We stopped for lunch at San Andreas and I headed for home.
It was about 180 mile loop for me and a fitting way to celebrate my 62nd birthday which was Tuesday.
It still makes me feel like I'm 19 when I twist the grip... The age I started riding.

Rikugun

Nice report and WOW! that section of road pictured just beckons to be ridden!  Beautiful! :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

VM , my advise is to stay in the saddle as often and as long as you can.  I did ! I'll be 71 in 2 months and riding is a little more difficult . My arthritis and torn rotator cuffs, limit me to  about 200 miles and then  I have to stop and rest every 50. I'd like to ride over to Morongo Valley CA. to leave flowers on my Moms grave , but its a nearly 500 mile round trip , so I'll probably have to take the truck, YUK!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Ron_McCoy

Looks like you had a great birthday ride.  You have plenty of time left.  I've been riding occasionally with a group that has sveral guys in their 80s.  The guy that usually leads rides a Goldwing with everything that can touch down heavily ground and beveled.  Its a lot of fun to follow him and watch and hear the bevelling. He's only 84, but says he'll get to be a better rider when he gets a little maturity.  Anyway, happy birthday!

fret not

A little farther north from the territory Vision Meister covered but still in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada the spring growth is bright green and just about to dump pollen into the air.  But for the immediate time frame it is gorgeous.  The roads are clean mostly, the air has a freshness only available this time of year, and during the week traffic is generally light.

A friend and I got to take a couple hours time and just go, so we wound around some back roads in Nevada county west of Grass Valley, crossed HWY 20 and down to the Bridgeport covered bridge and up the other side of the canyon to Hwy 49, and on up to North San Juan.  My friend is retired from the old Calif Fish and Game Dept. and knows a lot of back roads in the area so he led the way around back of NSJ to a road that connected up with Tyler-Foote Rd and back to Hwy 49. 

Just riding through the tall cedars and pines that are so freshly green and lightly scenting the air is a truly wonderful feeling.  We connected again with Hwy 20 and east to the 5 Mile House, but went right across the road to the Rainbow for fresh sandwiches and a brew.  Some of the most ideal weather and scenery, and sitting on the back deck to enjoy our lunch was a real treat.

It wasn't a long ride but quite enjoyable given the allotted time we had.  I clocked only 97 miles and marvel that we have such great and varied riding territory.  Next time we will probably head up past Foresthill to Mosquito ridge, Placer Big Trees, French Meadows reservoir, and from there it is possible to head north to Soda Springs ski area or south to Georgetown, Placerville and points beyond.  There is still snow on the ground and ice in the shade above 5000' but that will soon go away unless we get more weather coming in.  There is a possibility of some in a couple days, but even if it does bring more snow to the higher elevations we still have some great roads threading through the foothills and into the Sacramento valley.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Very nice entry Fret!  :) These reports really make me yearn to explore that part of the country one day.  :)

It's really interesting that each part of the country has it's own unique "perfume" based on the indigenous flora and season. It's largely absent from the car experience watching the world go by while isolated from it. On a bike you're immersed in your environment. Rain and shine, hot and cold, calm air and wind you experience it all on a bike.  :)  On an early spring ride you drop down into the shadows of a hollow and notice the sudden chill. Climbing to the next crest the sun meets your back and the warming rays are again felt. Flowering fruit trees might greet you one moment while round the next bend the same tree species split and seasoned staves off the morning chill in the farm house you just passed.  A few turns later, the same farmer has just manured his fields and you get to experience that too.  :P Yup, it's all part of the visceral experience that's hard to explain to someone who's never ridden a motorcycle.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

One area where the hot / cold effect can be felt is along Hwy. 1 along the California coast below Monterrey to Pismo Beach.  The road stays reasonably level, as in no great changes in elevation, but does wind in and out of the canyons as they empty to the ocean, which is often right on the other side of the road.  Especially in the evenings on summer days the cool air falls down the canyons and on down to the ocean while the sun baked ridges are still heating the air and the faces of the cuts for the road radiate heat that has been stored during the day.  Add to that the magnificent views of the Pacific ocean on one side contrasting to the mountainous terrain on the other makes for a great ride for those who like that sort of thing. 

There is usually enough slower traffic that spirited riding is pretty much not going to happen, but otherwise it's very enjoyable. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!