News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

carb boots/flanges vacuum leaks

Started by zwells, June 25, 2013, 08:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwells

Hello, i finally got my new vision up and running almost properly, cleaned the carbs, new battery, new stator, and all the other tune up type stuff. I have been chasing after the problem of the stumble off idle and thought it was the carbs but it is now rejetted and clean and still doing it. So after some diagnostics i found that my carb boots are leaking around the rubber and near the engine connection. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to repair or replace this? the problem i  have found is that the part is discontinued so i was wondering if an aftermarket place sell them or where i can get them. any help would be appreciated, i just wanna get rid of that stumble.

cvincer

Seem to remember people have used liquid electrical tape to seal cracks.

Re-Vision

See if these guys have any left, if not you can get new ones off of German E-Bay.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14481.0

BDC

fret not

I spoke up for a set but have heard nothing for months.  I hope it's still a viable venture.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

Quote from: zwells on June 25, 2013, 08:29:37 PM
i found that my carb boots are leaking

Clean them with a solvent (brake & parts cleaner or similar)...when dry, coat them with black liquid electrical tape, making sure to work it in to the cracks with the brush provided. Let dry for a wee while and give them a finish coat...VOILA!!!

or

Clean (as above).... Cut a piece of bicycle inner tube and 'dry' fit...remove tube sleeve, smear the carb boots with an adhesive and refit sleeve...VOILA once again ;D

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Jimustanguitar

If they're really bad, you can use a bicycle inner-tube to patch larger cracks.

zwells

thanks for the help just to clarify though the bicycle inner tube would go on the inside of the joint and not the outside correct?

Tiger

Quote from: zwells on June 27, 2013, 04:48:59 PM
thanks for the help just to clarify though the bicycle inner tube would go on the inside of the joint and not the outside correct?

Outside... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

pinholenz

Ha!  Inner tube off a bicycle chopped to shape like it was a ring of calimari. Brilliant! Love it! That's my job for next weekend sorted.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550