News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Clutch basket question

Started by QBS, July 02, 2013, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

When I replaced the slipping clutch on my '83 at 72k miles I noticed that the clutch basket was loose and could be easily moved by hand.  I did not remove the basket to perform the clutch repacement.  I chalked the looseness off to high miles, and remembered that I had one once heard/read that loose clutch baskets are/were fairly common on English Twins.  Supposedly, the problem was not as bad as one would be lead to think just from messing with it, and it really didn't usually require immediate attention/$.  I went ahead with the clutch replacement and was rewarded with brand new clutch operation.  The bike now has approx. 88k miles on it and the clutch operation is excellent with no strange noises or vibration.

My question is what causes this problem and is it really as benign as I'm being lead to believe? 

Rikugun

I'm not sure exactly how much movement or in which direction(s) the movement was when you say "the clutch basket was loose and could be easily moved by hand".   Given it hasn't blown up yet I'd say it may have been "normal" basket wear for the number of miles on the bike at the time.  :) Are there any unusual noises at idle or under way?

The steel driven gear is attached to the aluminum basket via a system that allows them to rotate independently of each other +/- a few degrees. Amongst the wearing parts of this particular system are compression springs that weaken over time. When new, it takes the forces of engine pulses and abrupt clutch engagement to engage the springs and allow cushioning movement. Over time the components wear to the point of being able to be moved by hand.

If this is what you found, it's a normal process of aging but I don't know how severe it was in your case or how long it will be OK before no longer being OK. There doesn't seem to be too many Visionaries with that many miles to compare notes with. Or are there??? :) 
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan