The Good, the bad, and the ugly! 82XZ (Santa Cruz, California)

Started by Monster1824, May 17, 2013, 02:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

#2 photo seems to indicate an intake manifold that someone has covered with some type black sealant, perhaps to stop a perceived vacume leak.  I have no idea what you are referring to as a "bushing".

#3 photo: yes. The fuel cut off valve should be installed in the fuel line as close to the fuel petcock as is doable.  In all likelyhood you will need to use a much longer fuel line to make the loop that installing the inline fuel cutoff valve.....AND......the Very Important inline fuel filter will require to get from the petcock to the carbs without kinking.  It will probably look unsightly.  On '82's there is not much that can be done to hide it.  The creative use of inline 90 degree fittings might help.  On my '83 it's not so visible behind the fairing.  Regardless of how unsightly they may appear, the benefit of these two items far outweighs cosmetics.

js9_20

Hi Monster.  I'm in Sunnyvale... 

Give me an excuse to ride over to Santa Cruz.  If you need a hand, I may be able to head over there one evening this week.

Let me know.

Rikugun

Quote from: Monster1824 on June 02, 2013, 08:07:20 PM
It's tight when I turn it to the right.  It turns left really smooth but right has resistance.  What could this be?    As suggested you can put the bike on the centerstand and use a block of wood or jack to hold the front wheel up. Only jack it up until the rear wheel touches the ground.  :) Some resistance can be created by wires and cables but the important part of the steering is +/- a few degrees from straight ahead when  riding at speed. Move the bars through that arc and feel for a decided detent or notchy feeling. The original bearings are prone to this type of wear. They may also be loose contributing to your wobble but there can be other causes too.  

The 1st attached photo is where the oil is leaking from.  Short of replacing the head gasket you may have to live with it until it gets so bad you can no longer live with it.  :-[  :) Some may suggest re-torquing the head bolts but it is an involved project and I doubt it would do much in your particular case.

2nd attached photo is Where I had to use liquid steel to seal up a crack in the bushing. I'm guessing "liquid steel" is either a hair spray or a two part epoxy you used to seal the bushing which is the rubber intake manifold. How did it work?

3rd photo is my gas line.  Should I cut this line to install the flow switch? I wouldn't advise doing this unless the fuel tap (petcock) is not working. Even then I'd rather see you repair the existing petcock then add a second valve. I see you have an inline filter installed which is good. If you think it may be time to replace it don't hesitate to do so.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Monster1824

So I put the bike on a block and it seems to be some wires in the way... I moved them but the bike is still having some wobbles. I'm hoping its not bearings but that I'm still doing something wrong. 

I think I can live the leaking oil for a while.  It's not so bad that I have to add oil every day.  I add a bit of oil every couple of weeks.... It keeps fresh oil in it ;D

The liquid steel is a epoxy/glue... It worked great to seal up the intake manifold.  Some day I'd like to replace it but until that day liquid steel is my intake manifolds best friend.

The petcock was rebuild in 2011 so it works great.  If I let the bike sit for a week it starts right up. 

**I'm not 100% sure if I'm still running the OEM ball/race steering head bearing setup but I think it is.**

js9_20

Quote from: Monster1824 on June 04, 2013, 02:18:00 PM

I think I can live the leaking oil for a while.  It's not so bad that I have to add oil every day.  I add a bit of oil every couple of weeks.... It keeps fresh oil in it ;D

Just be sure to keep a sharp eye on the oil level...  Stators get hot and, the oil helps keep it from overheating.
A little extra oil, seems to be better than not enough.

Monster1824

Good news.  js9_20 is coming over to help me figure this out.

As far as the oil I try and keep a little extra in it just incase my leak ever really strarts to leak so i can get home.

Rikugun

Awesome, way to go js9_20!  :) Two heads are better than one. I'm sure between the two of you you'll get it straightened out.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

js9_20

Monster1824

Two heads were better then one.  We took the front end apart and re-greased the bearings. Bike still has a bit of wobble but no where near as bad.  Next fix is stop the oil leaks, and figure out why the bike is having shifting problems.  When I put it in Gear it just dies, and I have to restart in neutral. We did determine where the oil leak is coming from and it's not where my photo shows. The photo just shows where it's pooling/dripping down from. I'll take a photo as soon as I can to show everybody.

QBS

Monster, your dieing in gear problem may be related to a malfunctioning sidestand safety switch.  Will the bike start/crank in first gear with clutch in and sidestand up?  It should.

Monster1824

Hey all,
The bike is running pretty good.  I've figured out why the bike was shutting off when I'd stop and put it in first.  I have 83 risers on an 82 and no matter how I position my clutch cable it seems to be to long. I think I have to order an 83 clutch cable.  I'm still getting a slight wobble on my turns but it's not to bad.  I'm thinking of getting some now tires.  I currently have Road Riders front 100/90/18, Rear 120/80/18.  I've been looking at what people have posted on the website and it seems every one has there own opinion.  I'm 220lb and 5'11 if helps with any information.

Side note ** did any body ever try this?   http://www.spraymax.de/index.php?L=1 **

My bike was spray painted before I bought it... It's not as nice as I'd like so I'm planning on giving it a spray myself and am interested it this.

Rick G

I ran '83 risers with a '82, cable  Its all in the routing, Reroute,it can be done.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Monster1824