News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Very low on power

Started by tig5, June 17, 2013, 02:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

I have a R/R, but no stator sorry.

4.5, 5.5 VAC out of the stator seems very unusual.  Are you sure it isn't 45, 55?

nzvision

ah. sorry roro.  got my wires crossed.   :-[
please start, please start.  Yippeee I won the lottery. my vision started.

Rick G

55 to 60 vac is fairly normal for a vision , the fact that there is a differance between legs concerns me.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

To be a complete test checking all three phases there should be three values. Consider the wires A, B and C. Test sequence is:
red lead to A, black lead to B
red lead to A, black lead to C
red lead to B, black lead to C

The values should be the same (or very close) at the same RPM. Did you read the manual that came with the multi-meter? If not, do so and retest. Let us know what you get. I just want to make sure you are using the correct scale and interpreting the values correctly.  :) Having said that, given the voltage at the battery when running and revving, these low values very well may be valid and the stator is fried.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Identical readings on all all 3 phases would be nice... But IMHO not essential. One of the things that I noticed when I got my bike is that the previous service mechanic had disconnected one phase from my stator. I am told that this was regarded as a possible solution for the  R/R overheating by the it having to shunt too much voltage to the frame....?

Uneven voltage from the stator (at identical revs) indicates a problem with the stator, but not that it is completely fried  - yet ... especially if you are getting in the region of 50VAC.

I suggest you also do the diode test for the R/R as outlined in the Electrosport pdf.

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/diode-testing-guide.pdf

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550