News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My Bobbed Vision Cafe Street Fighter....

Started by Dibble, June 01, 2012, 10:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

A handsome motorbike.  Kinda new, kinda old, kinda elemental.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

Quote from: Raj1988 on June 20, 2012, 01:46:11 PM
put you rhands up and give me the wolf

Hahahahahahahaha....that's three of us in Ontario running with a Wolf system...and I know Kenny has one hangin' on his shop wall!!!

Shes looking really good Dib's... 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Dibble

I apologize for my absense... I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world who lives paycheck to paycheck and works too much to try and get ahead, so I won't complain.   ;)

I've gotten back into this project and have made some progress.  I've got the bike stripped down and have started making a pan for my custom seat.

Stay tuned...

sunburnedaz

Quote from: Dibble on June 06, 2012, 09:00:50 AM
I've seen that thread. If you read carefully he actually ended up using R1 rotors... They need to be 98-01.

Wait R1 rotors bolt up to the front wheel? That would make life fun!!
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

pinholenz

I'd love you to post your Photoshopped ideas of where you hope to go. Sounds exciting.

Have a look at Roro's post (Going Racing) for his handle bar conversion. Clipons are cool, but as he points out, interference with the tank is a pain to sort. One solution might be to lower the triple T on the forks so that they protrude above the top plate and hook the clipons there. Roro tells me that Treedragon experimented with this and found 38mm 36mm or less is optimal; more than that apparently starts to adversely affect the geometry.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on July 03, 2013, 04:41:52 PM
I'd love you to post your Photoshopped ideas of where you hope to go. Sounds exciting.

Have a look at Roro's post (Going Racing) for his handle bar conversion. Clipons are cool, but as he points out, interference with the tank is a pain to sort. One solution might be to lower the triple T on the forks so that they protrude above the top plate and hook the clipons there. Roro tells me that Treedragon experimented with this and found 38mm or less is optimal; more than that apparently starts to adversely affect the geometry.
To lower the upper triple, you are going to have to remove some material.  Plus you will need to shorten the headlight bracket where it fits in at the front.  You are never going to be able to safely remove enough to add the clip-ons without also pushing the fork through as well. 

Not sure about the 38mm, I thought it was 36mm but a search of treedragons posts will reveal all.  He has quite a bit to say (all interesting) about his bike's handling and changes

One of the neatest conversions I've seen is someone here on RoV who had some XZ550 risers that had a section cut out and re-welded lower (illegal in NZ of course as it's not a factory Prius modification).   Can't find the post but it's worth hunting for

Rikugun

QuoteTo lower the upper triple, you are going to have to remove some material.  Plus you will need to shorten the headlight bracket where it fits in at the front.  You are never going to be able to safely remove enough to add the clip-ons without also pushing the fork through as well. 
I thought that's what he meant - sliding the stanchions up through the triple clamps - not changing the relationship of the clamps to each other or removing material from one??  ???
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

iain

Rikugun

Quote from: iain on July 03, 2013, 09:46:16 PM
They hit the tank on full lock

Yes, I recall reading that elsewhere. How did Treedragon work around this? I wonder if he modified the stops to limit the arc of the triples and live with the wider turning radius at slow speeds?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan