News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Re: Very low on power

Started by tig5, July 04, 2013, 01:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

So...

I made the assumption that the yellow and red wires were the ones I was meant to switch and the black wire was to stay in its original place?

By crossing the yellow and red wires over the result stayed the same. Front plug sparked, rear plug didn't. According to cvincers doc that would imply my TCI is boned?
I peeled off the glue the PO had put on the unit and took it apart. There is evidence of a little solder work from one of the 6 pin pins but nothing appeared loose. There is also some melting of the outer plastic case where the 2 metal brackets that are screwed to the circuit board slot into the case.
I understand the TCI's are a bit hard to come by. Anyone got one for sale?

tig5

Oops...not sure how this ended up here. It won't let me remove it either. Disregard

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sunburnedaz

Yup I have a few now thanks rick. LOL I can test one and send you it after it works, shoot me an offer.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

pinholenz

Hi Tig5, Oops double posts all round :-[ Never mind Sunburnedaz may not have seen this otherwise.

I have just tested my XZ400 TCI unit on the 550 and it works fine. If you would like me to post it to you so that you can test/ check if your TCI is the source of your problem before you buy one, happy to oblige. Text, Phone or PM with your details and I will get it in to the post for you.  All the best. John (pinholenz)
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Someone, I don't remember who, suggested that the XZ550 goes a bit better with the XZ400 TCI installed.  I run the 400 unit, but have never done a comparison.

jefferson

If there is a difference it would almost have to be in the advance curve and I would bet that the 400 has more sooner for better bottom end. A 400 box might give the 550 better mileage and bottom end although it is already good a little more couldn't hurt. Love to see a comparison.

Jeff

Rikugun

Someone posted these a while back but I have no idea who or if they're right...
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

I posted them - sourced from Yamaha manuals.  that's no guarantee they are right of course.