News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

powersliding... yeah

Started by dingleberry, August 06, 2013, 04:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

I am relatively new to shafties and was wondering how different are they to a chain drive in terms of "sliding yer arse" around a corner.
Is the bike more inclined to highside/lowside when traction returns or does it behave much the same as a chain driven bike? And before you fall over laughing at the mere thought of a 400 powersliding round that next corner I'll add that theres a bit of weight reduction going on (me and bike) and weight bias is leaning to the front. Oh and sticky tyres cost too much.
If anyone has experience in this area share your thoughts please.
If anyone wants to laugh at my optimism also feel free to chime in. :P
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

You want to drift a XZ400?
This I'll pay money to see

Rick G

I don't believe that it will behave any differently , from a chain drive bike . It fairly short coupled and will come around quickly . I would prefer wider bars for that type of adventure!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rick G on August 06, 2013, 09:29:08 PM
I don't believe that it will behave any differently , from a chain drive bike . It fairly short coupled and will come around quickly . I would prefer wider bars for that type of adventure!
Except the 400 is the most gutless motorcycle ever invented.  It would be easier to do a powerslide on a hampster.

Rick G

I've never ridden a 400 , but that makes sense/ It weighs the same as  a550. but has less power to  move it.
I have ridden mine on really rough , rocky dirt roads  and it had  plenty of power , in fact you had to use some caution!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dingleberry

Quote from: roro on August 06, 2013, 07:51:20 AM
You want to drift a XZ400?
This I'll pay money to see

So you've found a job already? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though most bikes will slide at the right lean angle/WOT/few grains of loose shingle/oil/wet weather. 

Just want to know what to expect if it happens.
You like, oui?

dingleberry

Quote from: roro on August 06, 2013, 10:20:45 PM
Quote from: Rick G on August 06, 2013, 09:29:08 PM
Except the 400 is the most gutless motorcycle ever invented.  It would be easier to do a powerslide on a hampster.

Never ridden a hamster, pussies are more my thing. I agree about the gutless 400 but I consider that a challenge to rectify.
You like, oui?

Walt_M.

Only difference between shaft drive and chain is shafties raise the rear suspension on acceleration due to torque reaction. The Vision has short, stiff rear suspension to counter this. BMW uses a complex rear linkeage for the same reason.
Whale oil beef hooked!

dingleberry

Ah so I might have to be careful with choosing a replacement rear shock unit. There wont be enough weight over back wheel to effectively soak up bumps I am thinking. Haven't actually ridden vision yet so no idea. My R1150GS does 'torque' when changing gear so I wasn't sure. Thats probably more to do with engine configuration than shaft?
Thanks for replies
You like, oui?